Xray Safety

When I went for a dental appointment and they wanted me to take a full mouth xray, I was not asked to wear one of those vests. There was one on the wall, but it wasn't suggested I wear it. I asked if I needed to wear it and they said I could if I wanted to. So they brought over just one side and put it on one side (front or back of me I do not remember). It all happened so fast and I expect them to have more knowledge than me on these things. What changed? Why do they have them on the wall but then say it's just for if you want it?

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Modern digital x-rays contain a lot less harmful radiation than there historic predecessors. In our practice, we use the lead apron on patients that are pregnant and it is absolutely indicated to take an x-ray. I would not worry if I were you.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
They are not recommended at all in Australia anymore, even for pregnant women. This is mostly due to the fact that nearly all standard dental Xrays are going sideways through the patient's head, not the abdomen. I had one hanging on my wall for years in case anyone asked for it, but I didn't proffer it because it's unnecessary.
See attached sheets.

Vote:

Ask a Question