Pain in tooth with root canal - Xray and CScan are clear.

I had a root canal in my upper front tooth after my veneer replacement. 6 months later I came down with a viral infection that turned into a nasty sinus infection. At the same time, I started experiencing pain in the tooth with root canal. I had an X-ray with endodontist and a 3D Scan with the doctor who did the veneer and they said everything looked perfect. However, it turned out that I needed a bite adjustment - I was hitting my problematic tooth way too hard. I had 2 bite adjustments and it feels much better but not back to normal yet. It has been 9 days since my 2nd bite adjustment. I wear my nightguard at night and sometimes during the day when I am working from home. I noticed that while I am wearing a nightguard I have absolutely no pain or pressure. Should I wait and see if it improves more and go back for another adjustment? What else might be causing this pain and pressure in my gums?

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
X-rays pls? Taken immediately after RCT was completed, plus the most recent Xray.
Since you experienced relief after the adjustments, I would be going back for a possible 3rd any time.

Vote:
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I don’t have a copy of the X-ray right after the root canal. I should be able to get it next week. Attached is a copy of the most recent X-ray of tooth #9.

Attachments

• 28826349-7747-41E2-AEA9-D3935C5A38B0.jpeg
    28826349-7747-41E2-AEA9-D3935C5A38B0.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 605EF440-E691-40A9-918F-C3FCBFF523E2.jpeg
    605EF440-E691-40A9-918F-C3FCBFF523E2.jpeg
    40.9 KB · Views: 14

Vote:
I went for a 3rd bite adjustment. It actually felt worse right after the adjustment but it has been more than a week since then and my tooth seems better but not back to normal. I am not biting into anything and hoping to give it time to heal. I forgot to mention that since the new veneer installation, it feels like this veneer or tooth is making a popping sound especially after I brush my teeth or press on the tooth from the side. The other veneer is fine.
Another thing, when I eat warm food, drink warm tea or water or even take a hot shower, my pain and discomfort go away.
At this point, I am really scared because this has been going on since Christmas and my dentist mentioned that it might be root fracture that requires extraction. She did a CT scan and found nothing either.
What are the symptoms of root fracture in the tooth with a root canal? Should I get a second opinion from another cosmetic dentist? Should I ask them to remove the veneer and replace it with a temporary veneer to see how my tooth feels?
I am an anxious person and my anxiety is out of control at this point. I am terrified that I am going to loose my front tooth.
Thank you!

Last edited:

Vote:

Ask a Question