Wisdom tooth - Help!

A few years back the filling came of this tooth, and needed a root canal, got that sorted, then a while later the tooth snapped in two places. The gums around it are really sore and tender. What's wrong with it? Is it infected....?

Please no nasty comments . Thank you.

IMG_20190526_143040_992.jpg

Solutions
Bobbywig, when is the last time you had a dental exam? I think you're talking about the last molar as the wisdom tooth is not filled. If you have a root canal you should ideally have the tooth crowned as the treatment makes the enamel more brittle ( so more likely to crack and break).

If it breaks then it's down to luck whether you can save the tooth. Depends on how deep that break goes. You should see a dentist in the real world and if you have problems after seeing a dentist then post x rays here. You also need a hygienist appointment. It's really important to look after your gums with regular hygiene if you have swelling or redness. Do you floss? Do you have a good diet. smoke?

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If you have a root filling on a molar, it becomes more structurally weakened than a standard filling. It is nearly always suggested that you have a crown placed to prevent fractures like this. If there is a crack, then most likely it will be deep and the tooth will be unsalvageable.

Vote:
Bobbywig, when is the last time you had a dental exam? I think you're talking about the last molar as the wisdom tooth is not filled. If you have a root canal you should ideally have the tooth crowned as the treatment makes the enamel more brittle ( so more likely to crack and break).

If it breaks then it's down to luck whether you can save the tooth. Depends on how deep that break goes. You should see a dentist in the real world and if you have problems after seeing a dentist then post x rays here. You also need a hygienist appointment. It's really important to look after your gums with regular hygiene if you have swelling or redness. Do you floss? Do you have a good diet. smoke?

It was a few years back.
I didn't have any money to go for the crown at the time but I was told to get one. But since then the tooth's cracked and broken in 2 places. Exposing the filling / root canal

I brush and stuff. Just started using Corsadyl mouthwash, I usually use whitening ones ect. The gums not swollen but it's tender round the sides. My diets not the best. I don't smoke though.

I've always had problems with my teeth

Vote:
If you have a root filling on a molar, it becomes more structurally weakened than a standard filling. It is nearly always suggested that you have a crown placed to prevent fractures like this. If there is a crack, then most likely it will be deep and the tooth will be unsalvageable.

Yeah it's cracked and broken in two places now. I was told to get a crown but couldn't afford it. i was also told it was dead but I can feel things. Is it worth getting it removed? And getting a bridge fitted?

Vote:
Solutions
It was a few years back.
I didn't have any money to go for the crown at the time but I was told to get one. But since then the tooth's cracked and broken in 2 places. Exposing the filling / root canal

I brush and stuff. Just started using Corsadyl mouthwash, I usually use whitening ones ect. The gums not swollen but it's tender round the sides. My diets not the best. I don't smoke though.

I've always had problems with my teeth
Do you floss?

You should see a dentist to find out what options you have. It's pretty important to get it looked at otherwise you could end up with an infection on surrounding teeth.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It is probably essential to have it removed because usually the cracks are very deep, and it is only a matter of time before you develop a gum infection. at least go and get an Xray and opinion. It won't affect the adjacent teeth.

Vote:
It is probably essential to have it removed because usually the cracks are very deep, and it is only a matter of time before you develop a gum infection. at least go and get an Xray and opinion. It won't affect the adjacent teeth.

Yeah definitely. Need to get a new dentist. Do you think it's best to get it removed and get a bridge fitted. ??

Vote:
Solutions
I would see how you feel if you have it removed. You might feel it's ok to just leave a gap. If you have a bridge you have to crown the other teeth. Plus you have to keep it & the crowns really clean with hygiene appointments. The other risk is that the surrounding teeth may not be strong enough. Particularly as one is a wisdom tooth. If you don't want to spend too much you could always just get a plate for eating. Lots of people around the world use removable plates for eating etc. At least that way you don't have to drill into the surrounding teeth.

Vote:
I would see how you feel if you have it removed. You might feel it's ok to just leave a gap. If you have a bridge you have to crown the other teeth. Plus you have to keep it & the crowns really clean with hygiene appointments. The other risk is that the surrounding teeth may not be strong enough. Particularly as one is a wisdom tooth. If you don't want to spend too much you could always just get a plate for eating. Lots of people around the world use removable plates for eating etc. At least that way you don't have to drill into the surrounding teeth.

Yeah I Defo don't wanna spend too much.
But I don't think I'd like gap. I'll look into get a plate! Didn't know they'd have to drill into other teeth?!?

Vote:
Solutions
Yeah I Defo don't wanna spend too much.
But I don't think I'd like gap. I'll look into get a plate! Didn't know they'd have to drill into other teeth?!?
To do a fixed bridge you have the surrounding teeth crowned. That's why it's so expensive. Given your history and financial situation a plate would be a good option, if you can get used to it. It's not like you fix a bridge and it's forever. The hygiene appointments & maintenance aside, it will need to be replaced after so many years. They do the hard sell with bridges and implants but plates are used successfully by many on a budget. They do put pressure on surrounding teeth and tissue but it's like any prosthetic. Never the same as nature.

Vote:
To do a fixed bridge you have the surrounding teeth crowned. That's why it's so expensive. Given your history and financial situation a plate would be a good option, if you can get used to it. It's not like you fix a bridge and it's forever. The hygiene appointments & maintenance aside, it will need to be replaced after so many years. They do the hard sell with bridges and implants but plates are used successfully by many on a budget. They do put pressure on surrounding teeth and tissue but it's like any prosthetic. Never the same as nature.

Ain't bridges the same price as a crown ? £270 round about??
I don't think I'd wear a plate tbf

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
  1. You certainly won't bother with a plate (denture) for a single molar tooth; you'll simply throw it in the bottom drawer because you'll hate it; plus there are technical issues which would make it unlikely to be a good idea.
  2. Given that your adjacent teeth look relatively healthy, then a bridge is not a good choice either because it would be too risky as opposed to the possible benefits.
  3. Nowadays it would be best to put an implant, or nothing at all.

Vote:
I went to the emergency dentist and they popped the absess and put some white stuff on it to hold the teeth together. But it's cracked right down the middle, and it tastes horrible. If there anything I can do?

I'm still waiting on registering with a dentist

Vote:

Ask a Question