Wisdom tooth extracted today... please help!

I had #17 (lower left wisdom tooth) extracted this morning. According to the instructions the doctor gave me, I'm supposed to replace the gauze pack after an hour as long as the bleeding is "controlled" (define controlled?) but it's been over 2 hours now since I left his office and I'm terrified to take the gauze out. I'm afraid that the socket will start gushing blood as soon as I take the gauze out and pretty confident that I'll faint if I see the socket. No one else will be home to help me for a few more hours.

I'm also starving, as I was instructed not to eat after midnight. I have some yogurt and applesauce that I can eat, but most of the left side of my face is still numb and I'm afraid of hurting myself, not to mention getting something in the socket. Can I eat with the gauze still in? I've been drinking water with it in and it seems okay. However, the left side of my throat and my ear hurt when I swallow (reminds me of having strep throat) so I don't think I'll be able to eat much.

As you can probably tell, I'm a big, wimpy crybaby when it comes to stuff like this. Please help me. :(

Ask a Question