What will happen if I don't get any treatment for my underbite?

Hi wasn't sure if this was appropriate for orthodontics or surgery,

I've talked to multiple dentists and orthodontists, and they all say I need jaw surgery for my underbite. I attached a picture. My back teeth don't really touch and it's pretty hard to tear food sometimes, the gap between my front teeth is about 9mm, my left side touches before my right, but if I bite, both will kind of touch. I am happy with the way I look, but I am worried about any functional issues or other symptoms that may occur because of my underbite. I do not want to get surgery.

However, my family doctor recommended that I get invisalign or some other treatment to help reduce my underbite and reduce the crowding in my teeth. I am not sure if it is worth the time, she estimated that my case would require about a year and 30 invisaligns (haven't sent in the molds yet). I have been searching for whether people have problems when they get older, but I can't find much on the internet. Most forums are only talking about treatment, not what happens if I don't get treatment. So I am curious what negatives there are for not doing any type of surgery or alignment. Such as are my teeth going to start bending more forward/backward after awhile because they aren't aligned properly and how big of a difference will that make? I am currently 22.

1. What happens if I get no treatment and keep my teeth the way they are, negatives for the future?
2. If I do invisalign or something to help better align and straighten my teeth how much will it really benefit? (ie. At what age would things be getting a lot worse)
3. If there is anyone that has been living with a severe underbite, can you please share your experiences

Thank you for your time! And thank you in advance for your responses

Attachments

• 20151223_191436.jpg
    20151223_191436.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 579

Ask a Question