What are my options if I believe a faulty crown was installed into my mouth?

About 3 years ago, I had 2 crowns put in that were supposedly full zirconia, which I was told is the strongest material for crowns.

One of the crowns failed and just developed a hole in it in less than a year, which was unusual. My new dentist created a new crown using different material and fixed it (for a hefty fee).

Now, about 2.5 years later, the newly replaced crown looks weird. It has a slope and looks like it's been ground down already. I'm going to try to get an appointment with my dentist ASAP to check it out. Are they obligated to fix it since it hasn't been that long? I thought crowns were supposed to last a minimum of 5 years. I don't want to have to pay another $1,500 for another crown only to have it fail in another few years again.

Thank you!

Last edited:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Zirconia is very strong. To develop a hole in one would suggest to me that it was too thin when placed, or the dentist adjusted it too far.
We'd also appreciate any Xrays and photos taken before and after the crowns were made.
Were they full zirconia or layered zirconia (you'd have to ask the dentist)?

Vote:

Ask a Question