Veneers, bridges and space

Hi guys! I’ve had extensive work on my top teeth. I have veneers and a lot of bridge work. I’ve had these for almost 20 years. Within the past year, I’ve noticed that my gums have started receding. I now have a space between my tooth (that’s a bridge) and I’m extremely self confident about it. When I smile, it literally looks like I have a black pepper piece in my mouth. My dentist isn’t concerned about it. As long as it’s not causing a problem, then no reason to fix it. But it does cause a problem to my self confidence.
Does anyone in the dental field have any advice about this? Is there anything I can do at home to hopefully get the gums to come back down?

Attachments

• FD3A7FE5-1688-4E9C-A8AF-49954323B831.jpeg
    FD3A7FE5-1688-4E9C-A8AF-49954323B831.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 405
Solutions
That's a shame, they look really nice. I'm not a dentist so I am not sure whether they can stick some filling material onto it, but I would say try not to feel self conscious because they look really good especially for 20 years +. Other people really don't notice these things as much as it seems.

Vote:
That's a shame, they look really nice. I'm not a dentist so I am not sure whether they can stick some filling material onto it, but I would say try not to feel self conscious because they look really good especially for 20 years +. Other people really don't notice these things as much as it seems.

Thank you so much for the reply. I’ve tried my best to take care of them.

Vote:
The only way to correct a gap between veneers, would be to replace the veneers or use invisalign to close the space. You are unable to bond the space closed.

Vote:
In my opinion, (without the benefit of xrays), you have bone loss around your dental work and the gums receded because the bone has. Go get a good check up and xrays and see what is going on. You have really nice dental work, and you want to maintain your investment.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
A gap like that can be annoying, but does it show up when you smile normally? I mean, you don't walk around holding up your lip with your finger like that! You can easily clean such areas with little bottle-brush interproximal devices. Get it checked to see if there isn't an underlying problem. You can't add any dental material to a porcelain crown/bridge. Either you replace the bridge, or talk to a periodontist about possible gum graft.

Vote:

Ask a Question