Traumatic experience

Hello I’m looking for help I’m with a nhs dentist, I’ve never been scared before of a Dentist,
but I am now terrified 2 weeks ago my tooth snapped after having a large filling
So I had to have half a tooth removed it took an hour and she couldn’t get the root out the pain in my front tooth is still bad it’s been badly bruised as she was leaning into it ,I had to pay £95 to a private dentist who took 5 seconds to remove the root he didn’t hurt me but as I am on a low income,
I can’t afford the price all the time . He informed me I have a gum infection which I didn’t know .
The told the nhs dentist I had an abscess on the roof of my mouth for a few weeks and a decaying tooth she couldn’t see the abscess even though it was quite big and she say my decay was discolouring I’m wondering if she needs glasses ?
I’m ment to go back to get my false tooth but my gut is tells no me there is something not right ,also how long should you wait after having 3 injections? As she started straight away I had no advice regarding after care at all.
I have a few painful conditions osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia so I am used to pain on a daily basis but this was a horrific experience

Last edited:
Hello I’m looking for help I’m with a nhs dentist, I’ve never been scared before of a Dentist,
but I am now terrified 2 weeks ago my tooth snapped after having a large filling
So I had to have half a tooth removed it took an hour and she couldn’t get the root out the pain in my front tooth is still bad it’s been badly bruised as she was leaning into it ,I had to pay £95 to a private dentist who took 5 seconds to remove the root he didn’t hurt me but as I am on a low income,
I can’t afford the price all the time . He informed me I have a gum infection which I didn’t know .
The told the nhs dentist I had an abscess on the roof of my mouth for a few weeks and a decaying tooth she couldn’t see the abscess even though it was quite big and she say my decay was discolouring I’m wondering if she needs glasses ?
I’m ment to go back to get my false tooth but my gut is tells no me there is something not right ,also how long should you wait after having 3 injections? As she started straight away I had no advice regarding after care at all.
I have a few painful conditions osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia so I am used to pain on a daily basis but this was a horrific experience

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I'm from the US and I may have some ideas on the NHS in UK? Since the pay for dentists in the NHS are expectedly low, it only attracts the inexperienced. As the new dentist gains experience, he or she would venture to private care for more lucrative opportunities. You may inquire which dentists may have more experience with your needs or try teaching institutions where there are overseeing dental faculty (instructors). Hope you connect with a dentist you trust.

Vote:
Solutions
I don't think it's easy (or possible) to become a fully qualified dentist in the UK without having NHS experience. But there are just as many poor dentists in the private sector. Many of the more capable dentists have left NHS contracts to go private because the contract is very restrictive and bureaucratic. As it stands it's not an ideal healthcare model. I'm glad you got your tooth sorted and you didn't pay much for private treatment. It's generally pot luck whether you get a good dentist. Best to go by personal recommendation (ie. not online reviews).

Vote:
I'm from the US and I may have some ideas on the NHS in UK? Since the pay for dentists in the NHS are expectedly low, it only attracts the inexperienced. As the new dentist gains experience, he or she would venture to private care for more lucrative opportunities. You may inquire which dentists may have more experience with your needs or try teaching institutions where there are overseeing dental faculty (instructors). Hope you connect with a dentist you trust.
Thank you for your advice

Vote:
I don't think it's easy (or possible) to become a fully qualified dentist in the UK without having NHS experience. But there are just as many poor dentists in the private sector. Many of the more capable dentists have left NHS contracts to go private because the contract is very restrictive and bureaucratic. As it stands it's not an ideal healthcare model. I'm glad you got your tooth sorted and you didn't pay much for private treatment. It's generally pot luck whether you get a good dentist. Best to go by personal recommendation (ie. not online reviews).
Thank you for the advice I’ve had a few dentists over the years due to them changing to private this was by far the most traumatic as I had a panic attack during the procedure which I don’t suffer from normally

Vote:

Ask a Question