Tooth Extraction

Solutions
I have a tooth at the top that needs removing. My teeth are overcrowded anyway and I asked my dentist .... If I have a tooth removed will the others close the gap ? He said they wouldn't is he right ?

I think it is wrong. There is another option of braces that can fill empty space between the teeth. You should take 2nd opinion from a professional dentist who have great knowledge about this. Braces can definitely help your loose teeth and give you a fantastic smile!

Vote:
Solutions
I think it is wrong. There is another option of braces that can fill empty space between the teeth. You should take 2nd opinion from a professional dentist who have great knowledge about this. Braces can definitely help your loose teeth and give you a fantastic smile!
I was asked if I fancied braces, but I said I didn't fancy a metal mouth also I've heard braces can cause more trouble as the teeth they are fixed to are hard to clean and removable braces are only for minor defects.
The dentist I used to see thought that having a tooth removed would help my overcrowded teeth problem, but he has now retired and I am seeing someone else.
Would the gap close if I had a tooth removed ?

Vote:
Read about 'tooth drift'. Your molars drift/push forward naturally and close gaps back there. With premolars, incisors and canines I don't know if they have a consistent and predictable drift tendency other than staying put. I think I read that premolars may drift backwards pushing against the molars.

I find often people are not willing to wear a retainer at night for the rest of their lives after they had braces in childhood, so their teeth revert back to how they were. Yes braces can cause complications, like a molar loss in my case due to too much movement.

You said your teeth adjacent are crowded? Then yes, removal will likely result in that gap being mostly closed (possibly not completely). I'm not sure of your situation but you could always just leave the tooth there... I've had a baby premolar I chew on with hardly any root left that has been there for 15 years. The root dissolved as preparation to be replaced by an adult tooth, but no adult tooth formed due to genetics. It is great, I love that tooth.

Vote:

Ask a Question