Tips on how to overcome Dental Phobia...

Hello,

My name is Olivia and I have really bad dental phobia... It has been 3 years since I last went to a dentist... I tried a year ago but couldn't even make myself drive over there for my appointment... I can't even walk into a dentist office anymore without feeling extremely anxious... Does anyone have any advice? I've been having a little pain in a tooth but I'm scared to go...

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Ask friends and family for suggestions of a nice dentist. Find a dentist who can offer nitrous oxide (Happy Gas). Also talk to your medical doctor about your anxiety. Make an appointment with the dentist, letting them know of your acute anxiety, and that you don't want to do anything the first time.
  1. Go with a friend and meet the receptionist and dentist in the waiting room to have a talk. Have a look around the place; does it have a friendly feel?
  2. I would then try to get you back a 2nd time to try the nitrous (take a friend) - no examination, no Xrays. With nervous patients I always prefer them to have a trial of nitrous without any treatment - they will relax nicely, and I can adjust the concentration to find your "happy level".
  3. Third time maybe nitrous and a short-acting anxiolytic like triazolam ("Halcion") if necessary. Take a friend for reassurance and to drive you if taking triazolam. Maybe examination and Xrays. Find out what problems you might have.
  4. Fourth time - nitrous and triazolam and friend, and maybe simple cleaning.
  5. Keep building up, step by step.

Vote:

Ask a Question