Black rim on tooth and brown stains on inner view of teeth. What is it? Tips & advice? Pics

Hi all. At 25 I'm upping my oral care routine. And doing my best to learn health care on a whole. I have some major concerns though that led me to do this.

Currently there is a slightly obvious cavity (like a tiny speck of black pepper!) on my upper canine tooths side, and black rim lines on my molars, both sides (left and right molars)

On the insides of my upper teeth which I've neglected to see for so long, there are deeper brown stains on the backs of yellowed teeth.

And on nearly all upper teeth at the inner side, a black rimmed line is there next to gum line on each back side of the tooth.

None of this is visible on the front. Only the inner area /backs of teeth, that I tend to neglect or not brush well...

I have no idea what it is. Or why & how they formed. Maybe brushing.

I am mostly concerned about my teeths prominent yellow brown stain and black rims/ buildup. And also how this may relate to my cavities which I may fill over time as I up my oral care.

Why is it (back rim lines) there? What do we call it? Can it be treated/removed/changed? prevented? How do I care for it and how long will it take to to away?

The brown & yellow stain is from herbal tea...is just not coming off. Can they?

The stains became intense when i went on herbal tea for a detox. I don't smoke. Very little to no alcohol. I'm off the detox for a long time. In fact i stopped it bc of stains.

I just really need some pointers for my self to do. And if it can change.

I will see the dentist and hygienist soon (the previous cleaning the brown stain on my lower teeth barely budged. It did help but was still there)

Please let me know if there's anything I could do & what to keep in mind as i do them. Tips & Tricks possibly. Etc.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 20180716_115132_HDR.jpg
    20180716_115132_HDR.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 370
  • Screenshot_2018-07-16-11-53-58-1-1.png
    Screenshot_2018-07-16-11-53-58-1-1.png
    809.5 KB · Views: 388
  • screenteeth1.png
    screenteeth1.png
    891.1 KB · Views: 401

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
To minimize staining, try an ultrasonic toothbrush like Sonicare. If the stain accumulates aesthetically, try over-the-counter whitening agents. I don't recommend whitening toothpastes because they can cause enamel and gum damage if you brush too hard.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Simple tea stains. If you're still drinking it, then removal will only be temporary. It won't do any harm, so I rarely go to the trouble of getting rid of every skerrrick because it's so time-consuming for such little benefit.I prefer the standard rotatory back-and-forth electric toothbrushes. Sorry, honestdoc, but Sonicare is not ultrasonic. There are a couple of ultrasonic brushes out there but I don't know how good they are. I'll look up the literature sometime.
From my experience with sonic dental scalers (Kavo) and sonic root canal handpieces (Dentsply), the sonic versions of these are quite useless compared to ultrasonics - whether this applies to toothbushes remains to be seen. I'm going to buy an ultrasonic brush myself and see how it feels.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Sorry, wrong terminology. In the US, Sonicare and Oral B seem to be neck and neck with their proprietary race.
Yes, they're always trying to outdo each other. Although the real value of one over another is tenuous. It's a bit like shaving blades - remember when 2 blades were an innovation? "The 1st one cuts close, the 2nd one even closer..." ! I still use a 2 blader. Much cheaper and does the job nicely without slashing my throat. :eek:

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I used to work for a dental corporation that deals with Sonicare. We were ingrained with all of its benefits. After 15 years, I was transitioned into another corporation that deals with Oral B and was taught of all of its benefits. I still use a Sonicare with an unopen box of Oral B given to me by the company rep.

Vote:
Simple tea stains. If you're still drinking it, then removal will only be temporary. It won't do any harm, so I rarely go to the trouble of getting rid of every skerrrick because it's so time-consuming for such little benefit.I prefer the standard rotatory back-and-forth electric toothbrushes. Sorry, honestdoc, but Sonicare is not ultrasonic. There are a couple of ultrasonic brushes out there but I don't know how good they are. I'll look up the literature sometime.
From my experience with sonic dental scalers (Kavo) and sonic root canal handpieces (Dentsply), the sonic versions of these are quite useless compared to ultrasonics - whether this applies to toothbushes remains to be seen. I'm going to buy an ultrasonic brush myself and see how it feels.

Thanks all.

Simple tea stains. Even the black rims near the gumline?

I did do research that they were removable by scaling.

In terms of care just a better toothbrush and good brushing will take off some stains overtime? And even prevent them?

i will be drinking tea. So not expecting them all to go. But If the stains can go down a notch that's great and if it can be prevented in long run even better.

Relief it's just staining though!

Thanks again, you two.

Last edited:

Vote:

Ask a Question