Three weeks wait for the procedure after antibiotics?

At the beginning of the year, I went to the dentist with a minor and fleeting dull toothache. She said that there was nothing wrong, but said that one of my other tooth (upper left second molar) needed a filling replacement (I never asked why) therefore we did so.

After the procedure, the tooth was extremely sensitive to cold water (composite filling), and I complained a couple of times about it but she said to wait, as the filling was quite deep and it might take a bit longer to settle.

I waited but the tooth suddenly began to give me a throbbing pain, so I booked an emergency appointment to have it looked at. The dentist present (my usual dentist wasn't working that day) said that the filling was slightly too high, which stressed the tooth to the point it got infected. He trimmed the filling and gave me antibiotics (500mg Amoxicillin for one week - three times a day) as well as booked an appointment in three weeks time (they are currently very busy) to get the filling replaced, and said that it hopefully won't hurt until then (this was a week ago, and I'm about to finish the course of the antibiotics).

From my little understanding of dentistry (hence why I'm here), the antibiotics won't make the infection magically go away (just make it subside) to allow the work to be done(?). My concern is that until I can see my dentist (in three weeks), the infection will come back and cause me pain again. Am I correct to assume so? If so, would you perhaps recommend that I try to find another dentist practice who might be able to replace the filling sooner?

(I have also been randomly experiencing sensitivity/pain to pressure in the tooth directly underneath it (premolar) ever since, which had a root canal treatment about five years ago, but I'm not sure if that's related - could it possibly be?)

Many Thanks in advance,

B

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

You are right. Antibiotics is never the solution to a problem. It only masks the symptoms. Luckily it sometimes stays in your system for about 1 month. Usually antibiotics is never given for a filling that is high. If the filling caused irreversible pulpitis or nerve damage, due to a deep filling etc, then it might be that the tooth actually requires a root canal to be done. Was this discussed with you?

Vote:
Good day

You are right. Antibiotics is never the solution to a problem. It only masks the symptoms. Luckily it sometimes stays in your system for about 1 month. Usually antibiotics is never given for a filling that is high. If the filling caused irreversible pulpitis or nerve damage, due to a deep filling etc, then it might be that the tooth actually requires a root canal to be done. Was this discussed with you?

Thank you for your time with this,

No, a root canal treatment was never discussed with me. The dentist who gave me the antibiotics said that they should provide relief until I can get the filling redone/replaced (no mention of RCT).

Frankly, the previously mentioned premolar (which had RCT five years ago) (the tooth directly underneath the molar which needs the filling redone/replaced) began to give me a throbbing pain today, so I'm considering going back for an emergency appointment again to see what's really going on.

Many Thanks,

B

Vote:

Ask a Question