Pain is back three weeks after Root Canal Treatment

Hi -
I had my root canal done in my upper left No.2 incisor. The canal was left empty so that infection could drain out. The pain subsided within a day of this treatment, although I did not finish the entire antibacterial capsules, as prescribed. I only had six, and I stopped(my mistake).

It was great past three weeks – but since yesterday, the tooth has started paining again. More so when I tap it inward from the outside of the mouth, and worse when I tap it upward into the gum. I can feel my pulse in that tooth(although the pulp was taken out in the RC treatment) and I can also see that the tooth is shaky – I can literally push & pull it inward & outward. Its moving, and weak. I can’t chew anything on my left side. Its not sensitive to cold or hot food/water anymore(maybe because the pulp was taken out already?), but it really hurts upon applying mechanical force (tapping on it, chewing, etc.).

What do you think has happened? and what are my options?

Thanks a lot in advance!

For one thing it sounds like the root canal isn't finished yet. (left empty to drain) Also, it is very important to take antibiotics as prescribed. If you don't, the infection doesn't go away and can even become worse. Are you scheduled for a follow up appointment?

Vote:

Ask a Question