Should I get Permanent Dentures?

I'm 28 years old and have moderately bad teeth. I havn't seen a dentist in years but I'm sure i have a dozen cavities, need several root canals, and have a few broken teeth. Also my teeth are slightly discolored and not very straight. At this point I'm realizing I need so much dental work that I'm contemplating having them all removed and getting permanent dentures. I just feel like getting permanent dentures and having a nice smile and never having to worry about getting root canals and fillings is a better option than getting braces, several root canals, a dozen fillings, gum work, etc, etc, etc.

Also my dad has periodontal disease which I hear is hereditary. I'd hate to spend a ridiculous amount of money on dental work only to lose my teeth to periodontal disease later on. So that really weighs in on my desire to get permanent dentures as well.

drmins

Verified Dentist
You are really mistaken about the differences of having a removable complete denture and having your natural teeth preserved.
Removable dentures can never give the exact comfort of your natural of fixed tooth.And also,can to a bit,decrease your confidence.Bone resorption and limitations in oral hygiene maintenance are other factors to be considered when planning a multiple extraction and removable partial denture.

And as you worry, though hereditary factor can contribute to periodontitis, proper oral hygiene and preventive measures can help you prevent it aggreviating.

So i strongly recommend you to reconsider your decision of "removing your teeth in anticipation of a possible periodontitis in future' and have a conservative approach instead.

Thanking you
dr.mins

Vote:

Ask a Question