Severe Trismus After Dental Work

Hello, I had the first appointment for a crown process. As a result my mouth was open too wide for too long. After a few days my mouth could only open for the height of my pinkie finger - about half an inch. Its been two and half weeks now. I do some jaw stretches every day, but I am wondering if someone else has some experience with this syndrome. I've read a lot on-line, but there isn't too much about how long this might last. Is there anything else I can do? So appreciated for any input!!

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You could have injured a muscle. I would suggest continuing with the exercises, and also taking some anti-inflammatory medicine. If it continues after 2 weeks, I would suggest going back to the dentist. You might have a TMJ issue, not related to the crown process at all.
Also note that we sometimes give a nerve block to numb a molar. This injection could have bruised a muscle as well. The advice would remain the same though.

Vote:

Ask a Question