Sceptical of Invisalign Consent Form

Hi,

I have been comfortable with the cosmetic dentist who I've decided to have Invisalign with so far and that was one of the main reasons I haven't had a consult anywhere else. When taking impressions he said he needed to take various photographs of my teeth that he'd upload to the "invisalign app". The two of these photos I wasn't entirely comfortable with were a facial photo from the front and one from the side. I'm sure it would have possible to opt out from these, but in any case I let it happen. I didn't think a whole lot of this until I read a particular part of the 3 page consent & agreement form.

It reads "I authorise my doctor to release my medical records, including, but not limited to [pretty much everything...] to other licensed dentists or orthodontists and to Align, its representatives, employees, successors, assigns, and agents for the purpose of investigating and reviewing my medical history as it pertains to ortho treatment with product(s) from Align and (ii) for educational and research purposes."

I did a google on this to see if any others shared their suspicions. The Invisalign form that I found online (link below) seemed to be almost identical except for the end of the every last paragraph, where it read "My medical records will only be shared with third parties if this is covered by my consent or otherwise permitted by the applicable law".

https://www.omniadentalspa.co.uk/pdf/invisalign-consent-form.pdf

So why is there a difference? who made it? and when? Wouldn't this be off-putting to most!

I guess I don't mind photos of my teeth going about, but I don't the idea of an image of myself up in some lecture hall 10 years from now, where a lecturer is explaining teeth movements in the context of facial profile. I know some people probably have no issue with this, but it makes me reconsider the price alongside the feeling of a lack of privacy.

Interestingly, on the very top of the form it says that it has to be signed by the patient prior to treatment and kept for their records, and should not be sent to Align Technology, Inc. This gives the impression that there is no way that I can go ahead with this treatment without agreeing to this.

The dentist gave me the form to take away with me, read and sign. As he gave it to me he highlighted certain parts of it, giving the impression that I need only read those parts. These were points that related to what we'd just discussed in the operating room. I hope that he wasn't hoping that I wouldn't bother reading the part I'm sceptical of. As this was my third appointment of the process so far, and as I was happy, I agreed to pay the first installment (€700) as we finished our discussion in the operating room. He wasn't even expecting me to pay until the next appointment. He told me that since I'm going ahead with it that he'd need to refer me to another clinic to get an X-ray. He didn't mention that this would be extra... that clinic called me to arrange it and it'll be €50.

The other thing is that he'd sent an email to me of the entire 3D representations of the plan, and that email (which I'd seen but not opened) has since been retracted.

Thanks for reading

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
This is normal type of consent. It is often used in many dental practices where patients have photos taken. Yes, your teeth may appear in a lecture sometime (if you're really that interesting) but personal details that are not related to treatment (name, address,...) won't be identified. If you don't like that, then put a line through that part of the Consent and keep a copy.
The dentist keeps the Consent form as he is your primary provider that has discussed this with you, not Align.

Vote:
This is normal type of consent. It is often used in many dental practices where patients have photos taken. Yes, your teeth may appear in a lecture sometime (if you're really that interesting) but personal details that are not related to treatment (name, address,...) won't be identified. If you don't like that, then put a line through that part of the Consent and keep a copy.
The dentist keeps the Consent form as he is your primary provider that has discussed this with you, not Align.
Thanks for replying,

The problem is that they took photos of my face... that's what makes all the difference. Did you read those few sentences in the other form? and see how they are completely different... in a better way! I do wonder why?

I don't know if it'll make much difference if I put a line through some part of the consent form as my facial photos are on the app, so Align may already have them. They're not going to see that I've put a line through that particular part of the form.

Vote:

Ask a Question