root canals vs dentures

Hi, I am 32 years old. I have had dental problems for as long as I can remember. I grew up on well water and my parents also have bad teeth. Every time I go to the dentist I have a new or worsening cavity. Today I went to a new dentist to get a second opinion (I had been with my previous dentist for the last 20 years). I asked her to look at everything and to give me a game plan of how to fix my teeth. After all Xrays and an exam she says that I need 6 root canals (1 is a redo of a previous one), of course, the crowns to go along with these. Plus a bridge from where I have had 2 teeth previously removed. The total for all of this after insurance is $10,000. This is not including fixing any of the other cavities that i have. I am extremely frustrated. First, for always dealing with dental problems, secondly, the hole in my pocket from all the procedures, and third, $10k??
My question is, being only 32, and frustrated with my own teeth, is it worth just having all my teeth extracted and getting dentures?? the above work is $10k, however, i know i will have more problems in the future with my teeth so why invest my money into this? I hear dentures are coming a long way now. I read recently something about permanent dentures. I'm not sure the cost of these, they may be just as expense. but anyway, any thoughts or suggestions?? I'm at a loss and need to do something soon; before 6 root canals turn into 10!

Having all of your teeth removed and wearing dentures may seem like an easy alternative. Dentures have come a long way, but there is nothing like your natural teeth. That is why it is best to keep your natural teeth for as long as possible. Dentures move and may effect your sense of taste, speech and ability to eat. Implant supported dentures are more stable, but very expensive. I can understand your frustration. Make sure that you explore all of your options before deciding on treatment.

Vote:
Your fight for teeth sounds alot like mine. I am 49 yrs young and ever since I was a kid I have always had to have fillings at each annual dental visit and I have had to have them all re-done again and again over the years because of decay UNDER the filling or new decay on the teeth despite great oral hygiene habits. I had a bridge fail which took the 2 supporting natural teeth #4&6 with it (havent even finished paying for the failed bridge yet!) and the teeth on either side of it are broken now too. So Ihave a huge gap of missing, broken, decaying roots/teeth. Since you can only fill and re-fill teeth a limited #of times before they have no supportive structure left, I too need about 6-8 more crowns. The problem is, everytime I get a crown it gets further decay UNDER it.I have spent over $12,000, seen 20 different dentists trying to stabilize my teeth and prevent further decay over the last 10 yrs but it has been a losing battle. The reason so many dentists is because I was looking for more affordable treatment at dental colleges but my dental needs were too extensive for their capabilities of the students and I was always sent somewhere else. I have also been referred to other dentists because I have a hard time getting numb for procedures. Its hard to tell which dentist's treatment plan to believe because not one of them match each others! I dont know what to do either. I dont want regular dentures, cant afford implants, but Im so tired and frustrated of this depressing and stressful situation of my teeth falling apart faster than I can fix them.

Vote:

Ask a Question