Root canal or extraction

hi all, I know there is no right or wrong answer but I've been given the difficult decision of a root canal or extraction.
Its on one of my molar teeth on the bottom, 3rd tooth from the back.
the tooth has had a couple fillings on it in the past and now has started to cause me pain and have a slight infection near the tooth root / nerve. Will the tooth having work on it in the past and causing me problems the last 3 months have any bearing on root canal?
Any advice on which option to go with?

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

If the tooth has a large filling or fillings on it, it might be and indication that after the root canal has been completed, you would need a crown on the tooth. A root canal treated tooth is technically a dead tooth and can become brittle over time with a high risk of fracture. The cost of the additional crown will have to be kept in mind. The fact that there is currently infection, should not have bearing on the root canal procedure. Severe infection might only mean more than the usual number of visits to complete the root canal.

Vote:
thanks for the reply.
I'm just so undecided what to do, if having the tooth extracted will this cause other teeth to be extracted in the future or can I still keep a good set of healthy teeth after one extraction?
The extraction is just seeming like a more viable option due to I have a feeling after having root canal I could end up having it out anyway with the tooth not getting better after it.
The tooth does have a deep filling on it at the moment.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
One extraction won't mean you will lose all your teeth. Unfortunately the risk is always there that a root canal can also fail and then extraction is the only option. Once the tooth is extracted, you will have options to replace it, which you can discuss with your dentist.

Vote:
also, could I just ask another question.
I did have a deep filling done on the tooth ( which previously had a filling on but was still experiencing discomfort ). the tooth has been sensitive for 4/5 weeks since the filling especially to cold things and then the weekend just gone I was in serious pain and agony, but when I woke up Monday morning the pain was no where near as bad as it was and the sensitivity the tooth had is no longer there.
I still took a trip to the dentist due to the pain I was in and then obviously they told me as above - root canal or extraction.
why did the pain really flare up the weekend then not so bad now and sensitivity all gone? I may opt for the root canal in hope it can keep my tooth.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Once the nerve gets inflamed, you go through times of spontaneous pain, while the nerve slowly dies.

Vote:

Ask a Question