Relief for Gum Pain?

I went to the dentist last Thursday to get fillings in my first molar (I guess that's what it's called) on the bottom right, and my dentist mentioned that my second/12 year molar is coming in. I already know a tooth was coming in there, but I thought it was my wisdom tooth. I didn't even know a second molar existed. But since that appointment, I've had pain in the back of my gums (like where my tongue is, not just the back of my mouth) where that tooth is coming in. I suspect, and my dentist said this as well yesterday when I went to find out what was wrong, that the tooth is coming in at a slight angle and is kinda going through the side, which is why it hurts.

The problem is: my dentist didn't tell me ANYTHING about how I can relieve the pain or swelling. The farthest back part of my gums is swollen and I keep getting sharp, cramp-like pains (it's like a cramp in the way that it feels tense I guess but not that bad) where that little flap of skin is under the tongue, right next to the teeth. I'm not sure if you know what I mean, but I don't know the first thing about terms for the mouth. I'm more focused on other parts of the body.

So my question is: how can I relieve the pain in the back of my gums? It's really frustrating because I can be eating and get that sharp pain and I noticed that if I talk, I sometimes get the pain. I'm really desperate for relief. I've tried cold drinks, and even ice and ice cream, but the first molar (the one that was filled) is sensitive to cold, so it's really painful.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice I can get. I've never had trouble with that tooth up until now, and it's been coming in for a while. I hope I explained this well enough for you guys to understand. It's a little hard to explain.

Solutions
I don't think there is much you can do other than taking a recommended level of painkillers. I remember the horrible pressure when my wisdom teeth came through and that flap of skin. But I was happy to have more teeth despite the headache. I am assuming that if your dentist didn't say anything negative that it's coming through without impacting or any complications. People suggest bonjella and all sorts but perhaps you can try teething gel (the stuff they give babies). Swish with some chilled chamomile tea or sage tea if you can get hold of it. You could just buy some sage and make an infusion. If you continue to suffer or develop a fever go to your dentist to make sure it's all coming through as expected.

Vote:
I don't think there is much you can do other than taking a recommended level of painkillers. I remember the horrible pressure when my wisdom teeth came through and that flap of skin. But I was happy to have more teeth despite the headache. I am assuming that if your dentist didn't say anything negative that it's coming through without impacting or any complications. People suggest bonjella and all sorts but perhaps you can try teething gel (the stuff they give babies). Swish with some chilled chamomile tea or sage tea if you can get hold of it. You could just buy some sage and make an infusion. If you continue to suffer or develop a fever go to your dentist to make sure it's all coming through as expected.
Thank you

Vote:

Ask a Question