Gum Recession

Hi all,

I have a huge concern at the minute with recession on my bottom front teeth. The gum line has started to recede in the last month or so. I have been worried about my teeth for quite a while, so have been doing everything (as far as I know) right to look after them, but it has still happened.
I mentioned about the calculus on the back of my teeth to my dentist a few months ago, and she didn’t seem concerned. She gave me some prescription (duraphat) toothpaste and recommend a gum shield for grinding at night, but that was it, other than that, she was happy, where I think they look a real mess!

I can see the darker root at the bottom now, and the gum doesn’t seem to fit tidy and snug around these teeth like it does on the rest. I’m 33 and a smoker trying to quit. It seems to early to be having these problems arising.

Is there anything I should be, or can be, doing extra to prevent the gums from receding more?

Thanks, Phil.

You should ask your dentist to refer you to a periodontist.
I mentioned it to her a few months back and she didn’t seem bothered, it was an initial consultation with a new dentist too, so she was very thorough. She just gave me some prescription (duraphat?) toothpaste, and recommended a night guard for my anxious grinding.
It’s the root showing that had scared me, but I’m not sure if I’m overreacting. I keep questioning what I’m doing wrong and what I should be doing to stop it.

Any advice is very welcome.

Attachments

• 3D099CA6-2E39-4DB2-AF8D-58907502CC25.jpeg
    3D099CA6-2E39-4DB2-AF8D-58907502CC25.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 363

Vote:
Solutions
You might think about changing your dentist. In the meantime book a hygiene appointment as a priority. A good hygienist will take at least half an hour to clean your teeth and do a thorough check of your gums noting any areas of concern. Are you in the UK with an NHS dentist?

Vote:
You might think about changing your dentist. In the meantime book a hygiene appointment as a priority. A good hygienist will take at least half an hour to clean your teeth and do a thorough check of your gums noting any areas of concern. Are you in the UK with an NHS dentist?
She checked my gums when I last went, and wasn’t concerned. I will look into getting a cleaning. My dentist is a private one, who does see NHS patients too.

Should I be really worried? Here’s a couple more photos if it helps...

Attachments

• B551F825-89C0-4524-8844-27C19EB9CCDD.jpeg
    B551F825-89C0-4524-8844-27C19EB9CCDD.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 346
  • 7FEA0909-B9BB-473D-BBC3-5DDF8F6C9C4D.jpeg
    7FEA0909-B9BB-473D-BBC3-5DDF8F6C9C4D.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:

Vote:
Solutions
There is no point in worrying. Just make a hygiene appointment with a good hygienist and go to a different practice for second opinion on your dental health. The night guard suggestion is a good one.

Vote:
There is no point in worrying. Just make a hygiene appointment with a good hygienist and go to a different practice for second opinion on your dental health. The night guard suggestion is a good one.
I just added another couple of photos to help see the problem?

I will make an appointment ASAP, as it is worrying me anyway. Thanks for your time, I do appreciate it.

Attachments

• 4B854F28-99B6-43DB-9226-FEBB8C0392A8.jpeg
    4B854F28-99B6-43DB-9226-FEBB8C0392A8.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 359
  • C87D926C-8D27-4B6B-BE41-EDD930796CF0.jpeg
    C87D926C-8D27-4B6B-BE41-EDD930796CF0.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 389

Vote:
Do you floss?
I’ve tried, but I’m really really rubbish at it!! Haha!

I brush twice a day, and am very diligent with that, but this all seems to of got worse since I changed to the Duraphat toothpaste that the dentist gave me in prescription, my teeth seem dirtier, and it just doesn’t seem to do the job properly.

Vote:
Solutions
If you do not feel it's helping then just use a regular fluoride paste until you see a new dentist. The hygienist should show you how to floss and brush correctly. Make sure you try this yourself before the end of the appointment. If you don't feel you do a good job yourself then you should see a hygienist every two or three months. Talk to a dentist about a night guard.

Vote:
If you do not feel it's helping then just use a regular fluoride paste until you see a new dentist. The hygienist should show you how to floss and brush correctly. Make sure you try this yourself before the end of the appointment. If you don't feel you do a good job yourself then you should see a hygienist every two or three months. Talk to a dentist about a night guard.
I am going to make the appointment with my normal dentist today for my night guard, and ask about the cleaning whilst I’m there, do what’s needed to try and at least out my mind at ease.

I get really anxious about my teeth, and noticing this has made it go off the charts!
Keep thinking my recession will end up like some of the extreme photos I’ve seen!

Vote:
flouride bad ?

Vote:

Ask a Question