Possible Lingual/Inferior Alveolar Nerve damage which has led to Trigeminal Neuralgia

Discussion in 'Patient Forum' started by S3B, Nov 3, 2018.

1. S3B

MattKW Verified Dentist

It used to be thought that pain relief would be achieved with alternating paracetamol and a few hours later with ibuprofen. Paracetamol taken with ibuprofen is now the best method for most dental pain. So the companies have brought out premade tablets, e.g. Maxigesic, Nuromol. You have to follow the instructions to keep within the daily limits, especially because of the potential paracetamol toxicity. It's not a nice way to die.
    Previous products like paracetamol with codeine or ibuprofen with low-dose codeine are being phased out e.g. Panadeine. The small amount of codeine meant that patients didn't always get the relief they wanted, so they would increase the tablet intake but could easily OD on paracetamol before they got a decent dose of codeine.

MattKW, Nov 9, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. S3B

Busybee

I've not heard they are phasing them out in the UK. I've found great relief from any inflammatory pain with nurofen plus. Ibuprofen alone doesn't hit the spot for me. I didn't want to recommend combining paracetamol & ibuprofen at the same time as I am not a medic. So thank you for confirming that.

Busybee, Nov 9, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question