Periodontal Treatment In Australia.

So I thought I would start this thread and ask for some advice. From those who have been in the same position.

I saw a periodontist and was diagnosed with generalised chronic periodontitis (Stage II and Grade B)

The itemised treatment quote is $1800 - though it states at the bottom this is an estimate.

$370 per quadrant x4

$80 for periodic oral exam

$75 Clinical periodontal analysis & recording

Supportive periodontal therapy -per appointment $165 ( not sure what this means)

Now being on welfare, I would struggle to pay this but, I have a relative who has offered to loan me the money. Is it best to proceed as I am concerned that that there is no way back here?

I should also note that I have an appointment for a periodontal assessment in the public system although I am not sure what happens there and if any treatment is actually undertaken.

I am just concerned if i do the initial cleans and thats not enough i need more work down the line.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It's a fair quote. The success of periodontal treatment depends upon:
  • Your initial stage of the disease
  • The contributing lifestyle factors - smoking, poor oral hygiene
  • Your motivation to keep your teeth after undergoing therapy
If you can get through all that, then you might need only occasional "touch-ups" to keep them in good condition. A bit like a beaten up car - still serviceable if treated with care! You should never have to undergo a full course of treatment again. The patients that fail have usually been unable to give up smoking and don't spend enough time keeping gums maintained.
In the Austn public system (where I now work as a supervisor for students) it would be a long time to get periodontal treatment (1-2 years?) as you would be judged to be low priority. But if you don't ring the call centre of your Local Health District and get your name on the waiting list then it will never happen.

Vote:
Thanks for that. I went ahead and booked to have this taken care off.

I was actually on a public waiting list as this periodontist wrote me a referral but i was told by the hospital the initial appointment was to come up with a treatment plan. My own Local Health District said there is no public periodontal service and i would need to pay someone privately.

I was told my issue is mild to moderate. Is that what generalised chronic periodontitis (Stage II and Grade B) is?

I have xrays if it helps.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Attached is the Staging and Grading classification.
So, Stage II is sort of an mild-to-moderate condition, and Stage B means your gum disease is progressing at an average rate. The Staging is based on the worst area in your mouth, but typically means there are many areas of same or less damage.
In the Grading you can also see that risk factors such as smoking or poorly controlled diabetes will accelerate the speed of damage.
If you live in one of the major cities, check if there is a student program available through one of the universities. For example, Sydney Uni has students at three major hospitals - Sydney Dental Hospital, Westmead Hospital, and Campbelltown Hospital. They also send students out to rural placements like Broken Hill and Ballina. Students will treat periodontitis under the supervision of periodontists.

Attachments

• Staging-and-Grading-Periodontitis.pdf
    133.9 KB · Views: 17

Vote:

Ask a Question