Paranoid about preservation graft healing

Hoping to hear some positive news lol
10 weeks ago I had 5 teeth extracted(wisdoms plus another) and one bone graft done. I had been seen at 1&2 week intervals. No infection was present, however I did have irritation but I was reassured i was healing great. I'm 10wks post op, have a part of gum tissue that seems to be alternating between a light reddish/pink and normal gum color. My camera makes it a little bit more red looking than in person. I am a smoker, however I believe I hit the graft site with a piece of crust the other day. When I got home last night it looked inflamed I had dabbed a tissue on it and saw a tiny bit of pink. Other than one time when I had caught a non absorbed particle has it bled, normal brushing normally does not seem to have any affect on it unless I still am brushing too rough. I'm paranoid with healing after I had a nasty infection prior to the surgery. I'm hoping it's just my mind and that I'm in good shape as far as healing but would like an experts advice. The few websites I've seen has similar images to 3,4,5mo intervals however I've only seen one other with this kind of pigment

Snapchat-1830744383~2.jpg
Snapchat-1982454598~2.jpg

Vote:
Update. I do believe where the bump was a tiny part of graft particle pushed its way out, this is how it's looked so far today. Spoke with a friend's wife who was a dental tech, she said it didn't look infected, but did look like it was irritated. Also was told salt water rinses shouldn't be longer than 2wks or irritation will occur, I've been doing them for the last 10...

Still would prefer a doctor's opinion

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Snapchat-1484967649.jpg
    Snapchat-1484967649.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 8

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Looks OK. There is no problem with continuing salt water rinses; it's just a mild antiseptic. However, smoking is a risk factor in healing, and also for the longevity of implants.

Vote:
I can't even explain how greatful I am for your response, truthfully, thank you thank you thank you! That's also good to know I can continue salt water, since I've stopped using it and went to an alcohol free mouthwash the graft has less of a "raw" feeling to it. Also the spot where it keeps changing color(did it last night as well) is that just pigment or granulation tissue changing? As far as smoking I've recently been trying to cut down, I know it's not a cigarette/juul but regardless it's not a good habit to keep

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If it contains nicotine, then unfortunately it's bad for gums, healing, and implants.
And we still don't know the long term effects of the other ingredients in vaping yet, but it's not looking good.

Attachments

• 2019-BMJ-Vaping-Editorial-Hammond.pdf
    371.2 KB · Views: 7

Vote:
If it contains nicotine, then unfortunately it's bad for gums, healing, and implants.
And we still don't know the long term effects of the other ingredients in vaping yet, but it's not looking good.
Well thank you for that link, Ive been wanting to kick the habit for a while, and I think that may just get me to that point. Also I hate to bother you again. Fingers crossed the white is new tissue forming and not the graft becoming exposed?

Attachments

• Snapchat-1498671137.jpg
    Snapchat-1498671137.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 8

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If you mean the white tissue as arrowed, then this is just peeling skin outer layer because you haven't been able to brush it for a while. The mouth doesn't form dry scabs, just wet ones that can often appear white.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1498671137.jpg
    Snapchat-1498671137.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 5

Vote:
If you mean the white tissue as arrowed, then this is just peeling skin outer layer because you haven't been able to brush it for a while. The mouth doesn't form dry scabs, just wet ones that can often appear white.
No sir, but I always have wondered about that too, so thank you for that as well! I'm unsure if it's just non absorbed material since it looks different from the others but the almost white streak matter that's above the arrow here
Snapchat-1498671137~2.jpg

Last edited:

Vote:

Ask a Question