Feeling Pain after Front Tooth Root Canal

Solutions
Hey everyone.

I got a root canal on one of my two front teeth on Thursday (3/5).

It was fairly uneventful and I only had minor, dying nerve pain with very hot foods prior to the work.

I have had mild pain that seems to be deep in the root area since it was completed. Eating is uncomfortable, as is brushing my teeth.

To add some detail, this was completed in one visit and I am ASSUMING I didn't have any funky situation like an extra canal there that the dentist had missed. It isn't a molar. But I've had molars with up to 6 canals, so anything is possible.

If I apply pressure from the bottom, especially, of the affected tooth and the one just to its left, I feel that deep pain.

Now, I know there is sometimes irritation of tendons and deep tissues in the area from either the antiseptic or just from the filing of the canal, etc. and I also got a scrip for Amoxicillin just in case, although it doesn't seem to be getting worse, it's just *there*.

I also have a problem digesting Advil so I haven't taken any anti-inflammatory meds as yet. I may have to.

Big question here is how long should this last if it is coming from inflamed tissues? Again, pain is not extraordinary, but it is definitely not normal and annoying as hell.

Thanks!

Last edited:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
No, you don't take antibiotics uhnless you have increasing swelling. Nearly always the tooth will settle down within a week or two. Just don't apply pressure; try to leave it alone for another week. Certainly, if you feel you need painkillers, then go back to the dentist for a re-evaluation.

Vote:
Solutions
No, you don't take antibiotics uhnless you have increasing swelling. Nearly always the tooth will settle down within a week or two. Just don't apply pressure; try to leave it alone for another week. Certainly, if you feel you need painkillers, then go back to the dentist for a re-evaluation.

Thank you and yes, I don't take meds unless absolutely necessary. I have had some very strange incidents happen with failed root canals and every one of them I have had seems to be an adventure and not a good one. I appreciate the feedback.

Vote:

Ask a Question