Overseas with failing root canal...little worried

I'm in Ireland for my honeymoon (having a blast!) but a little concerned about a gum abscess related to a failing root canal that doesn't seem to be reacting to 500mg of amoxicillin 4 times a day...

I was diagnosed with a failing root canal by my endodontist last Tuesday, 3/7. This was after seeing my regular dentist a week earlier who put me on a 7 day prescription of amoxicillin that seemed to help with the inflammation and immense pain. It came roaring back before my endodontist appointment (with no pain but more swelling this time). Considering the proximity to my wedding day on that Saturday, 3/11 and subsequent trip to Ireland on Sunday (and with the area too inflamed for immediate action) the endodontist put me on a giant prescription of amoxicillin and scheduled me for a root canal re-treatment 2 weeks from today on March 28th (when I'm back in Boston).

Luckily, I'm in very little pain with this round of the infection. However, the pimple-like sore above my top right molar has only gotten bigger since beginning the latest antibiotic regimen. And this is with swirling hot salt water around my mouth 3 times a day and taking lots of ibuprofen. Of course I've been reading horror stories online about infections fatally spreading to other parts of the body and I'm quite concerned at this point.

I'm worried that putting this surgery off for so long could end up being really dangerous--and even more-so since the antibiotics don't seem to be helping. I'm 27 years old and in pretty good health, which means a spreading infection should be pretty rare? Am I over-thinking this or should I be rushing to the nearest clinic in Ireland to do something about it? Thanks in advance!!!

> However, the pimple-like sore above my top right molar has only gotten bigger since beginning the latest antibiotic regimen.

I have no idea why dental professionals choose so often to treat said issues with oral antibiotics instead of directly injecting antibiotics to the *local* infection. Said oral antibiotics may do permanent damage to your digestive system's flora, which aside from helping digest a wide variety of foods it does things like synthesize a large fraction of your body's serotonin and b12... Anyways, I'm digressing sorry.

Oral antibiotics are only able to go where capillary flow allows. Should the entire pulp of the tooth be so infected that capillary flow does not exist within, antibiotics wouldn't get in either. Or possibly the infection is either immune (e.g. viral) or just inhibited somewhat by said antibiotics.

Keep doing the salt water as needed. Don't OD on ibuprofen... shouldn't take it longer than a week due to the risk of stomach ulcers IIRC. A large dose of niacin (vitamin B3) has an anti-inflammatory effect without said side effect. Though I'm not sure if you need either... I had a blister on the outer side of my molar (on the gum) for 6+ years that filled with pus. It would drain into my mouth if I pressed on it. It never spread. Eventually an extraction was done (an the molar was deformed), and that infection was scraped off of the bone.

> Of course I've been reading horror stories online about infections fatally spreading to other parts of the body and I'm quite concerned at this point.

Yes infection can spread to other parts of the body. In my case, thanks to a dental titanium implant, it swelled up my pallet, uvula and inner cheek first. After that, my outer check, face, upper face, and even swelled my left eye shut and put immense pressure on my eye from below. I lost a lot of tissue to necrosis in my palate and by the implant due to that. Thankfully the infection was brought under control at that point. Be aware of the symptoms of a blood infection, as that can kill within days.

> Am I over-thinking this

From your description I'd say so. Try to enjoy your honeymoon with your spouse! Sounds like you're in good hands with your endodontist.

Vote:

Ask a Question