Novicane shot

This text is for a dentist or someone who has the answer to my question.
I'm having a cavity filled this Tuesday and I don't want to feel the needle. What can I do or say to the dentist prior to him giving me the novicane needle? I don't want to feel it going in. Terrified please help. Michelle

Hopefully you've had your work done by now (it's worth it in the end, trust me)! But if not, this response is for you and anyone else worried about the Novocain/e shot:

I just had a couple of extractions six days ago (local Californian) and before they even put the needle in they use a cotton swab with a local and rub it around the gums where they will be injecting the Novocain/e. No problems at all, all I felt was the pressure and the cold of the injection if it happened to squirt (which sounds weird but was no big deal!).

I've actually had quite a bit of work done over the years and nine times out of ten this was how the procedure began. =)

Only once did a dentist give me the shot without a local and, to be quite honest with you, it was no sweat. I think I trembled and worried about it more than was necessary. I didn't even really feel anything but a tiny pinch and then, boom, by then the Novocain/e is already starting to work and it melts away to nothingness.

Don't get yourself psyched out! That's what I did when I went a week ago. It had been years since I'd been to the dentist and I was REALLY freaking scared for some reason. Probably all the nightmare tales I've heard about bad wisdom tooth extractions gone wrong...but this was simple. Took five minutes and I'm glad it's out! =)

Here's hoping your dental visit is/was as quick and easy!

Vote:

Ask a Question