Antibiotic shots in gums at cleaning

Good morning, I have a question that I hope someone can shed some light on for me. For the past year and a half at my 6 month cleanings my hygenist had said I need 2 antibiotic shots in my gums because they look a little red..... first off at the site that she says I need them I have not had any issues. Now it seems to me that every time I go (every 6 months) for my cleaning she says I need 2 shots in a new spot and at 40 bucks a pop I am starting to thing its a bunch of BS. Thank you in advance for any feed back you can give :)

Dear Gina, "They look a little red " in itself, is no justification to inject antibiotics into the sight. I think more important in this situation is do you have perio pocketing. Considering that 3 mm and less is normal then your hygienist should find probe a depth of 4mm or greater to justify antibiotic shots . In most cases "A little red " is merely Gingivitis that can be eliminated with more aggressive brushing and flossing .

Vote:
Thank you Tomas for responding. No, I do not have perio pocketing. From here on out I will refuse them :) Thank you again for your input, much appreciated!!! Have a great day!

Vote:

Ask a Question