Mouthwash instead of toothpaste

Discussion in 'General Dentistry Discussion' started by kevsta007, Jun 17, 2014.

1. kevsta007

kevsta007

My wife is using mouthwash in the place of toothpaste to brush her teeth. I am wondering if this matters or should she stop this?

Wondering what are people's experiences of such a situation. I am not really after people's personal opinions but what are general accepted practice/wisdom. I know all of the advertisements say use mouthwash in addition to brushing teeth with toothpaste. Since this is a professionals forum, what are the professionals experiences of such a situation?

kevsta007, Jun 17, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. kevsta007

LADentalclinic

Hello,
    Toothpaste does contain fluoride, abrasives, and detergents that clean and protect teeth, but as long as your wife is brushing at least twice a day and flossing once a day it doesn't really matter that she's brushing with mouthwash. Baking soda straight out of the box or salt are also used by many people instead of toothpaste when brushing. I personally prefer baking soda over anything else. It keeps my teeth smooth and bright white. One of my colleagues grew up in a very large, and poor family. They could only afford to use salt when brushing. He's now in his 70's and has never had a cavity, and still has all of his own teeth.

LADentalclinic, Jun 19, 2014
    Patience likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. kevsta007

MikelHorizon

I agree, baking soda works a lot in whiting our teeth, also it's not expensive and affordable to everyone.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2014
    MikelHorizon, Oct 1, 2014
    Patience likes this.
  4. kevsta007

Sabrina

I do that, too. I can't even remember the last time I bout toothpaste.

Sabrina, Oct 2, 2014
  5. kevsta007

movemen

Also remember to floss.

movemen, Oct 10, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question