Mouthwash instead of toothpaste

My wife is using mouthwash in the place of toothpaste to brush her teeth. I am wondering if this matters or should she stop this?

Wondering what are people's experiences of such a situation. I am not really after people's personal opinions but what are general accepted practice/wisdom. I know all of the advertisements say use mouthwash in addition to brushing teeth with toothpaste. Since this is a professionals forum, what are the professionals experiences of such a situation?

Hello,
Toothpaste does contain fluoride, abrasives, and detergents that clean and protect teeth, but as long as your wife is brushing at least twice a day and flossing once a day it doesn't really matter that she's brushing with mouthwash. Baking soda straight out of the box or salt are also used by many people instead of toothpaste when brushing. I personally prefer baking soda over anything else. It keeps my teeth smooth and bright white. One of my colleagues grew up in a very large, and poor family. They could only afford to use salt when brushing. He's now in his 70's and has never had a cavity, and still has all of his own teeth.

Vote:

Ask a Question