Is it safe to repeat an antibiotics course for the 3rd time in the same year?

Got tooth abscess on first molar the beginning of the year, took antibiotics (metronidazole and amoxicillin together) for it with the intention of getting the tooth treated as soon as the infection cleared.

Finished the course and had to travel before I could get it treated.

About 2 months later, infection started again on same tooth. Gums, face swollen. Again I took the same course. Infection cleared. Lockdown started. No dentists.

Now it started again. Gum infection (It seems like). Is it safe to start the same antibiotics course again without risking resistance? Im going to a dentist this time.

Or should I start another antibiotics? If so, which ones? No dentists operating where I am, which is rural. So I'll have to travel for this. Good times ahead :(

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

It is never a good idea to take too much antibiotics, since there is a growing trend of antibiotic resistance. Amoxicillin and Metranidizole are luckily not broad spectrum, so the risk-especially if spaced-is low.
I would recommend however that you switch to a different antibiotic, since this will help combat resistance.
Always remember, antibiotics is never a solution to a problem. The source of the infection should be removed. In this case your rotten molar.

Hope this helps

Vote:
Good day

It is never a good idea to take too much antibiotics, since there is a growing trend of antibiotic resistance. Amoxicillin and Metranidizole are luckily not broad spectrum, so the risk-especially if spaced-is low.
I would recommend however that you switch to a different antibiotic, since this will help combat resistance.
Always remember, antibiotics is never a solution to a problem. The source of the infection should be removed. In this case your rotten molar.

Hope this helps

Thanks for your input Dr M! What's considered the best alternative to a Amoxicillin and Metranidizole combo course for periodontitis/tooth abscess?

Vote:

Ask a Question