Internal Root Resorption Tenderness

I was diagnosed with root resorption on molar #2. I have tenderness at the gum line on inside mouth (closest to tongue). Normal pulp test, no sensitivity or problems otherwise. Is it likely the root is perforated?

Is there a chance the root resorption can spread to the neighboring molar?

Is there a chance the internal root resorption could spontaneously stop?

I was told there was a 30% chance of failure if I did a root canal, and oral surgery to correct the issue, and a good chance the tooth would not last longer than 5yrs. So my alternative is extraction or implant. I'm on the fence about going the oral surgery and root canal route given the prognosis; and given the cost of the estimate including bone graft, and an apparent sinus lift for an implant, I will most likely just do the extraction and leave it at that. I can always decide later on if I change my mind on going through all of that for an implant.

With all of that, what would be the harm in leaving the tooth as is to see how long it lasts without doing any work, since my only issue now is tenderness at the gum line.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Attached is a picture from a 3D cone scan of the root resorption.

Attachments

• Oblique Slicing.PNG
    Oblique Slicing.PNG
    56.3 KB · Views: 11

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
  1. Will not spread to adj tooth.
  2. Very unlikely it will stop.
  3. Very high chance of RCT failure, I wouldn't even think of offering you a chance.
  4. The risk with leaving for now is that the resorption will eat away more tooth, and the inevitable extraction will be harder and need to remove more bone, which will make implant placement (if desired) even harder.
  5. Take it out ASAP. Sure, let it heal and see if you still want an implant in 6 months.

Vote:
Thank you for your helpful answers. Def puts things in better perspective. If I'm feeling tenderness at the gumline, is it most likely perforated at the root of the tooth? Or is the tooth root just that sensitive with pressure at this point?

I only feel an issue if I push on my gum with my tongue, or a piece of food hits it the wrong way.. trying to get a better idea what is causing the tenderness.

Vote:
I was diagnosed with root resorption on molar #2. I have tenderness at the gum line on inside mouth (closest to tongue). Normal pulp test, no sensitivity or problems otherwise. Is it likely the root is perforated?

Is there a chance the root resorption can spread to the neighboring molar?

Is there a chance the internal root resorption could spontaneously stop?

I was told there was a 30% chance of failure if I did a root canal, and oral surgery to correct the issue, and a good chance the tooth would not last longer than 5yrs. So my alternative is extraction or implant. I'm on the fence about going the oral surgery and root canal route given the prognosis; and given the cost of the estimate including bone graft, and an apparent sinus lift for an implant, I will most likely just do the extraction and leave it at that. I can always decide later on if I change my mind on going through all of that for an implant.

With all of that, what would be the harm in leaving the tooth as is to see how long it lasts without doing any work, since my only issue now is tenderness at the gum line.

Thank you.
What did you decide to do? My regular dentist thought I might have a crack at the root of tooth #29. There was no pain or tenderness. But a pimple like "thing" was draining (which was my only indication that something was wrong). Referred me to an endodontist. She did surgery, stained to detect a possible crack (none), removed the resorption, placed a filling there, and sutured gums back into place. I was relieved that they found no crack. That tooth already has a root canal, and I did not want to lose it. Oddly, I was very familiar with tooth resorption because my one cat Sister has it right now, and a deceased cat, Missy, had it really badly before she passed away. I sure hope I didn't get it from them. Endodontist says there is little evidence of that.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
What did you decide to do? My regular dentist thought I might have a crack at the root of tooth #29. There was no pain or tenderness. But a pimple like "thing" was draining (which was my only indication that something was wrong). Referred me to an endodontist. She did surgery, stained to detect a possible crack (none), removed the resorption, placed a filling there, and sutured gums back into place. I was relieved that they found no crack. That tooth already has a root canal, and I did not want to lose it. Oddly, I was very familiar with tooth resorption because my one cat Sister has it right now, and a deceased cat, Missy, had it really badly before she passed away. I sure hope I didn't get it from them. Endodontist says there is little evidence of that.
Unfortunately in OP's case, the resorption is in an impossible place to treat. I hope they had it extracted.

Vote:

Ask a Question