Inflamed ligament

I have been going through hell for almost 2 years. I had a horrible toothache that resulted in a root canal, which did not stop the biting pain that I was having since before the root canal. About a year later, he redid the root canal. This was about a month ago and I still have the biting pain. I’ve been researching this for years because I had pretty much the same thing happened about 10 years ago. I’m almost convinced that this is not a tooth problem anymore but it is something to do with the ligaments or the nerves under my tooth. I cannot get anyone to help me at least not in the dental profession, I found this online read below, should I discuss this with my general practitioner I have a feeling my Dentist will just shrug his shoulders like he usually does but there is something going on in my tooth. The symptoms are either a crack that can’t be seen or there is a problem with the ligament what do I do? I’ve never been so frustrated in my life with doctors .

“‘Depending upon what created your sprain or if the factors that are repeatedly affecting your PDL aren't removed or reduced, inflammation can hang around for a long time and cause your lingering toothache to get even worse. In this case, the pain can spread to your surrounding gum tissue and neighboring teeth.

In some cases, inflammation goes away, but your ligament(s) remain sensitized to the degree that you can't chew on a tooth or even touch it with your tongue without pain. In this scenario, it's common for x-rays to look normal and for the tooth to be structurally sound. The cause of the pain is the result of the nerve endings in the ligament remaining in an irritated or what we call a sensitized state. As a result, even normal function produces pain.

When this happens, your persistent ligament pain may require the use “….

I am having a similar problem and the doctor wants the ligament to heal with a custom made night guard.

If the problem was advanced pulpitis, the X-ray would show a secondary infection around the root apex. And there must be a reason for the pulpits, which is usually caries, that would also show up in an X-ray.

If the conduit for bacteria into the pulp was a fracture, this is difficult to image and may not show. But if the culprit for the pain is a root fracture, the tooth is lost. In this case, there should also be a "rarefying osteitis" showing on the X-ray (a black halo around the root).

If the ligament was the culprit, there should be a thin black seam around the whole root on the X-ray, which depicts a widened ligament space (the ligament itself is not imaged as it is a soft part...see middle tooth on image).
Kraus Jurgen 4762_15-Jan- 2024_0.jpg

Vote:
This tooth turned out to have a root fracture and had to be extracted. The CBCT scan reveals a black halo around the mesial root.

Since the fracture was not imaged, the Endodontist preformed RCT, which did not solve the problem.

If the ligament was the issue, these halos would not exist.

2023-09-05 Endodontist report.pdf (page 2 of 2).jpg

Vote:

Ask a Question