infection under crown - re- root canal?

Just returned from my dentist with bad news. I need a root canal in a lower tooth at the back of the mouth, my dentist attempted the job, but told me it was to tricky for her and she will now refer me to an NHS Endodontist to see if they will do the treatment for me. So, that's a bit of a pain, but at least if the NHS can do it, it will not cost me a fortune. However, more of a problem is the tooth next to it which has a root canal and a crown. An xray showed a small area of infection immediately under the crown. My dentist explained that I would have to see a private endodontist to find out if the crown can be removed together with the infection, using a re- route canal treatment. Apparently I cannot get this done on the NHS because it has already had a root canal.She seemed to be of the opinion that it may or may not work because the crown may not be able to be removed without fracturing the tooth underneath. The cost could be anywhere from £800 to £1500. I am not a rich man, neither am I a poor man, but I am in a quandry as to what to do. I don't want to have both teeth extracted because that will badly affect my bite and eating. I will wait for my referral to the NHS endodontist and hope they can sort out the first mentioned tooth, but not sure what to do about the other one with the crown. What threw me a bit was when the dentist realised I was a little shocked at the price of a private endodontist ,she also said we could wait and xray the infected tooth under the crown in six months time. Why did she offer me this option ? Any views or help to make my decision would be appreciated.

Hello,
When did you had your root canal for the tooth with the crown? When you had root canal, what was the condition of your tooth before the therapy?
Now do you have any pain or discomfort with this tooth? Any pus discharge?
Answer me these questions then I will tell you about it.

And the second tooth which require root canal, you should proceed with the treatment without delay.

Vote:
Hello,
When did you had your root canal for the tooth with the crown? When you had root canal, what was the condition of your tooth before the therapy?
Now do you have any pain or discomfort with this tooth? Any pus discharge?
Answer me these questions then I will tell you about it.

And the second tooth which require root canal, you should proceed with the treatment without delay.

Thanks for replying. The root canal under the gold crown took place about eight years ago. I do not remember what condition the tooth was in. I have not had any pain from this tooth. It was only spotted by the dentist with an Xray which showed up a small black area of infection under the crown. She said the crown must be leaking.. I have not had any pain or swelling or discharge. If I had not had the Xray I would not know about it.

Vote:
Hello,
It surely indicates that the tooth has been infected again. So it would be needing re-root canal. But that too is unpredictable, there are 50% chances of its success. You should consult a good endodontist and then take the decision of its treatment. There is no need of extraction of that tooth till you have any symptoms of pain, swelling or pus.
But for the other tooth, you can proceed with the root canal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vote:
Hello,
It surely indicates that the tooth has been infected again. So it would be needing re-root canal. But that too is unpredictable, there are 50% chances of its success. You should consult a good endodontist and then take the decision of its treatment. There is no need of extraction of that tooth till you have any symptoms of pain, swelling or pus.
But for the other tooth, you can proceed with the root canal.
Thank you for your input. I will have a root canal on the tooth without the gold crown and seek the view of an endodontist about the possibilities of the success of a re-root canal on the tooth with the gold crown.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vote:

Ask a Question