Implant or not?

I had a wisdom tooth pulled #18 and they took #17 also because of damage. Is it necessary to get an implant for #17 to keep the upper tooth from dropping down? Thanks Michael

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Can you show us a full mouth xray of your teeth? Either before or after extractions. And what is your age?

Vote:
Here is a before. 53

Attachments

• IMG_2926.jpeg
    IMG_2926.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 8

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Thank you.
2 articles are attached. Whilst in young people there can be significant over-eruption ("dropping down"), this lessens for older people. These are 2 (admittedly small) studies with ages 33-58yo and 25-69yo which conclude that there is clinically insignificant movement in adults. Although the absolute age of each person is not cross-referenced to the amount of overeruption, I think it could be safely assumed that the older the person, then the smaller and less significant the movement.
In other words, you probably don't need an implant. If your dentist suggests otherwise, then you have these articles that suggest otherwise, unless he can find other literature.

Attachments

• Clin Implant Dent Rel Res - 2017 - Huanca Ghislanzoni - Continuous eruption of maxillary teeth...pdf
    351.6 KB · Views: 6
  • cjm036-3.pdf
    904.4 KB · Views: 3

Vote:
Yeah I was a little disappointed in my surgeon, no follow up at all not even a phone call. just give me your money and bye. I went up there after the swelling subsided because I had bone shards poking out of my gums cutting my tongue every time i tried to swallow anything. I only did liquid and spaghetti O's for the first month. The nurse that looked at it said yeah the bone will grow back....

Vote:

Ask a Question