Implant at a dental school clinic?

I need to have one implant done and would love some advice on having it done at a dental school clinic. My understanding is that supervision is good enough so that the quality of work usually quite good. But reading some reviews online (mostly on Yelp) of the clinics in and around Boston (I'm in w. Mass.) there are a lot of people giving bad reviews about the experience. Not about the work itself, but just a lot of complaints about lots of very long appointments and feeling not too well cared for--and it'll also be a 2 hour drive for me just to get there. Still, there are a few very good reviews--but honestly, the majority are bad and most of the clinics have an average of 2 stars. How legit and realistic do you think this is? Maybe it's just the people who've had a bad time who go to the trouble to write the reviews, and those who've found it ok don't bother? I'm fine going wherever I need to to be able to afford it, but if it's just a bad experience...that would be not so fun. Thanks for any thoughts or advice!

p.s. I do understand that it will always take longer at these clinics, as the work has to be supervised and checked. I'm totally fine with a certain amount of that, just have been a little concerned from these reviews that it might be a lot worse than I've been thinking.

Last edited:

Ask a Question