I'm 13 And Don't Know What To Do

So here's the thing, I'm 13 and have noticed that my gums bleed when I brush my teeth. They also seem to be receding and pulling away from my teeth (especially the bottom ones). Whenever I brush it is tender and hurts. I've poked around on the internet and I think I may have gum disease.. I'm not quite sure how to act on this as all the advice on gum disease tells you to get medicine or visit the dentist, but I can't buy things like antibiotics because (obviously) they are not allowed to sell them to me. I don't know how to get an appointment at the dentist on my own either. I'm scared to tell my mum though.. I'm extremely worried that if I carry on keeping it quiet, it will get worse and I could lose teeth. I don't know how far through the stages of gum disease I am. I really could do with some advice. Thanks, Daisy.

Hi doll,

First of all I'm super impressed that as a 13yr old you're doing all of this research on your own!
From what you're describing, it's urgent that you go see a dentist. You shouldn't be afraid to tell your mother, you did absolutely nothing wrong.. but if you're that uncomfortable then perhaps you could seek help from an adult at school or maybe another family member (aunt, uncle, grandparents, etc..) ?

It's better to try to get to the root of the problem and take care of it before your oral health worsens. Waiting won't get you anywhere and I'd hate for you to continue being in pain.

Vote:

Ask a Question