Horizontal Crack on Front Tooth

I tripped and fell into an iron gate and chipped my front tooth. The dentist x-rayed and said no root issues and bonding will correct the chipped edge. But, I can see a visible horizontal crack. The dentist says it's just superficial and to not worry about it but I'm terrified that it is an actual crack and I will lose the bottom half of my tooth. My bonding appointment is tomorrow and the dentist told me again, today, to not worry about the superficial crack and to whiten my teeth tonight to prep for bonding.

Apart from x-ray, I do not believe any other tests (other than visual) were undertaken but I was upset at the time and still am!

I've attached a picture where the chipped tooth is circled and further circled where the line appears.

Can anyone assist? Thank you.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 11
Solution
I would not stress about the line for now, if you don't have any pain on the associated tooth. A lot of times we also get what we call stress fractures in our enamel. This is due to normal function over time as well as grinding. Most of the time no treatment is indicated in case like this, especially if not accompanied by any symptoms.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I would not stress about the line for now, if you don't have any pain on the associated tooth. A lot of times we also get what we call stress fractures in our enamel. This is due to normal function over time as well as grinding. Most of the time no treatment is indicated in case like this, especially if not accompanied by any symptoms.

Vote:
Solution
Thank you very much, Dr M.

My bonding was yesterday and now I am learning to live with this new reality!

Thank you for helping put my mind at ease - really appreciated.

Vote:

Ask a Question