Horizontal bone loss treatment / GTR

I have significant horizontal bone loss across most teeth caused by periodontitis.

A few teeth are very sore, and the dentist recommends extraction.

I've been advised that because it horizontal bone loss, that Guided Tissue Regeneration is not suitable.

The bone loss is so severe that implants would not be an option, requiring dentures.

Is there any good news /research on the horizon that might make GTR and option?

Hi Janet, yes I've had two opinions.
It's not that I don't trust the dentists, or am in denial.
Really just wondering if there was any new technology coming through.

When you say "in my best interest" are you suggesting there is an option, or that there is no possible treatment available?

Vote:
I am not aware of anything available for the amount of bone loss you describe. Because your teeth are sore and in light of what you report with the bone and tooth loss, it is in your best interest to get rid of the remaining teeth, get out of pain for your dental health. I don’t want to sound like a commercial, but get your life back! You can have a beautiful smile you are proud of and teeth you can function with, why spend ten years waiting on research? Truly, I wish you well with your journey.

Vote:
Thanks Janet, all sensible advice.

Because the bone is gone, I can't have implants, and because the issue is widespread I can have bridges, so the only option is dentures.

Everyone I know who has dentures hates them, and it doesn't sound like getting my life back, hence the wishful thinking :)

I hoped that if they can build people's jaws from bone transplants, or already use stem cells to regrow bone, maybe we weren't that far away from a solution. It doesn't seem a huge leap to go from repairing vertical bone loss to repairing horizontal bone loss - just some better scaffolding?

I much appreciate you dipping in to this thread, and taking the time to help.

Vote:

Ask a Question