Had a hematoma at the dentist after a filling. Was my dentist negligent/at fault for faulty injecti?

I had noticed bruising ("bluish hue") on my face when I came home after a filling appt. The filling was on an upper second premolar tooth. This looked very embarrassing for me especially when I go out in public. I emailed the office upset that this happened. I stated in email that I would go find another dentist. Is my dentist at fault here for giving me a faulty injection? I am thinking of filing a board complaint. Don't ever want to see that dentist again.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
No, it's a common risk, and your dentist is not at fault. We inject where there are nerves, and where there are nerves there are also veins and arteries. This is unlike a medical immunisation where they aim for safer areas.
You will also often get haematomas that are deeper and you can't see, such as for block injections of lower teeth. In these cases you'll find you jaw muscles hard to open.
All bruising goes away in 2 weeks, and you may be lucky to never have one again. I probably cause a visible bruise once every couple of years.

Vote:

Ask a Question