Gum and teeth issues after installing a crown and deep gum pocket cleaning

Hello,

In August, my tooth, which had a root canal treatment a year ago (the second from the left at the bottom), was crowned. It hurt for a week. The dentist said it was due to grinding. After a few days, the pain subsided, and I could chew with it.

After another week, I developed gum pain between that tooth and the one behind it. The pain wasn't severe, and there was no bleeding. I also noticed that food particles kept getting stuck there.

I went to the dentist, and he believed the issue was related to the gum and the contact was still there. He performed a deep gum pocket cleaning with local anesthesia, saying I would have gum problems for about four more days, and then it would improve. He advised daily cleaning with an interdental brush dipped in chlorhexidine.

On the same day it hurt and I didn’t feel like trying to eat on that side. The next day, I couldn't chew on that side anymore, mainly because the tooth behind the crowned one hurt when biting. My gum hurt more than before, started bleeding, and never got better.

Three weeks later, I took my tooth band to the dentist and showed him that there was no resistance when cleaning there and told him about the gum issue. He said the gum looked fine and couldn't identify the source of the pain. He suggested the back tooth might be hurting due to grinding, even though it hadn't caused problems before the gum pocket cleaning. He also said my teeth had shifted due to grinding and that’s why there is no contact there anymore, and a new crown was needed.

Two weeks later, I got a new crown, but all the gum pain persisted, and the farthest tooth still hurt when biting.

In between it stopped bleeding.

The new crown was very wide, and the dentist couldn't floss between it, left or right. He gave up, saying my teeth would shift again, creating more space between them.

The first two days had pressure pain from both sides. On the third day, the weak contact returned, and food kept getting stuck. Gum pain remains.

I have two X-ray images: one of the entire jaw before the first crown, and one with only the crowned tooth and the farthest tooth after the last crown. What's your estimate? Could the dentist have done something wrong? Can you see from the full jaw X-ray (before the crown and before the gum pocket cleaning) if there were already serious gum problems? If so, I wonder why he didn't mention it. Or did these problems arise after the crown placement or even after the cleaning?

Meanwhile the gum started hurting on the other side of the crowned tooth as well, but not constantly and not that severaly and also the crowned tooth started hurting and it kind of radiates into my head. I also got the mouth guard and has bean wearing it for 5 nights so far, but no improvement whatsoever.

A night guard has been ordered, but I'm unsure how it’s going to be with the crown, given the weak contact and food particles getting stuck. I haven't chewed on that side for two months due the various issues.

I gotta say, there is need a contact between the crown and the tooth behind, bit it’s weak and also only like one point of contact, not like with other teeth where the contacts are rather like surfaces.

I previously refused the night guard because I couldn't sleep with it in the past.

Almost forgot, in addition to everything, on the gum in front under the crowned tooth and to the side, strange sores or a red line keep appearing since the cleaning, and it hurts, especially when brushing. I have two photos of this. The dentist said everything was fine and would go away.

Thank you

8F151002-8659-4D3A-857F-315F8B4BB056.jpeg
80EEC3F4-DDB7-488E-9182-111085489685.jpeg
C41FB9B7-7ADF-4348-8D24-2A468096DD4D.jpeg
61830AF1-8AC7-402A-A57C-4D526F4FC19C.jpeg

Experiencing gum and teeth issues after getting a crown and deep gum pocket cleaning can be emotionally challenging, and it's essential to address them for your overall well-being.

After these procedures, some discomfort or sensitivity is normal. It may take time for your gums and teeth to adjust. However, if you're facing persistent pain, gum irritation, or any other concerns, it's crucial to share your worries with your dentist or periodontist. They can reassess your condition and provide appropriate guidance or treatment.

Remember that your dental health is a journey, and sometimes there might be bumps along the way. Your dental team is there to support you and ensure your comfort and satisfaction. Don't hesitate to reach out for the care and attention you deserve, because your oral health is an important part of your overall happiness.

Vote:

Ask a Question