Go To My Dentist...Or Wait??

Let me preface this by saying I realize this sounds like a minor problem, which is why I am asking for opinions here rather than running to my dentist.

The issue is that two days ago I was eating dinner and a piece of gristle became lodged in my tooth--not between my teeth, but in a pit-like hole on the chewing surface of a bottom molar. I have tried everything I can think of to dislodge it and it is really stuck. I keep hoping it will dissolve on its own, but being something like gristle I am thinking it may take a long time for that to happen. It does not cause any pain. The "pit" has been in my tooth for a long time and has never been an issue. So I am trying to decide whether to wait and see if it dissolves or falls out on its own, or go to the dentist. I do not want it to cause a cavity. So how long can it stay in my tooth before it starts to cause a problem?

I appreciate any suggestions about this.

Ask a Question