wisdom tooth rotten. dentist said wait 3 months

Hello, I would like to check if my dentist's advice is correct. I had my last dental check up 5 months ago and all seemed good. I never had any fillings and the only work i have ever done on my teeth was the removal of my left bottom wisdom tooth.

Yesrerday i felt something on my left top wisdom tooth and i tried to remove it with my finger. The same night i attempted to brush it really hard and then I fel with my tongue a hole between my wisdom tooth and my gum. Lately that area has been feeling a bit weird but i didnt have any pain. Since last night I can feel a slight pain, but i am not sure if its just me being more aware of it.

I went to the dentist today and she confirmed that the wisdom tooth was brown and had a hole and said that she will make a referal to the hospital for removal. She said though that it can take up to three months for a removal appointment and if there is any pain in the meantime to go back.

She just had a quick look at it and sodnt have an xray to check how deep the hole is, as i expected. She said that this back in the mouth, its difficult to get an xray.

I am now worried that I have to stay with a hole in my mouth and a rotten tooth for so long. I am worried that it may get infected and especially if it affects my gums or my nerves. Has anyone been told that It is ok to wait for 3 months for a rotten tooth removal?

Anyone has any advice on how to avoid infection in these three months? I asked the dentist if i should get an antiseptic mouthwash and she said that there is no scientific evidence that mouthwash works. Basically she told me to do nothing but wait.

Next, I asked the dentist why the decay was not picked in the last check up. She said that a lot can happen in 5 months... is that right?

Any advice from anyone in a similar situation would be very helpful.

Thanks

Solutions
I am not a dentist but if it's not hurting you and you don't feel unwell then it can wait. The dentist told you that if anything changes contact them. So if you are in pain now go back.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Upper wisdom teeth often decay on the outside surface where it's hard to clean. Usually it's an easy extraction. I don't see any harm waiting 3 months unless you get pain.

Vote:

Ask a Question