How bad is this? Changing dentist and wondering if it can wait!

Hi everyone,

I hate going to the dentist, causes my panic attacks every time, so tend to skip, although I do consider myself to have good oral hygiene.

I have noticed these 2 black marks in the bottom of one of my top molars (I’m assuming it’s decay?). I’m currently changing dentists, and it might be a couple of months until I can go to the new one, and was wondering if it was ok to leave it that long, or will I have to swallow my pride with my old place? No pain, no sensitivity, just noticed the marks.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Attachments

• E4542610-2991-4EF7-AC19-82944DBDD0A4.jpeg
    E4542610-2991-4EF7-AC19-82944DBDD0A4.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 360
Looks pretty OK to me. Some staining of the grooves is all I see. X-rays are required.
Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply.

I’ve had 2 fillings in the past 2 months in my lower molars, and my dentist were a nightmare for the second one. I’m switching dentist after Xmas, and just wanted a bit of a bloody break from fillings until I go and get a proper check up and start a fresh.

It doesn’t sound like a couple of months will hurt though, so I’ll stop worrying.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
There is a tendency to put off something as unpleasant/scary as dental visits. Waiting 2 months maybe ok but putting it off for 5 to 30 years may develop major problems (which applies to most of my patients). Dr. MattKW is right that you need to have x-rays to see between the teeth, the bone health and under fillings.

Vote:
There is a tendency to put off something as unpleasant/scary as dental visits. Waiting 2 months maybe ok but putting it off for 5 to 30 years may develop major problems (which applies to most of my patients). Dr. MattKW is right that you need to have x-rays to see between the teeth, the bone health and under fillings.
Hi HonestDoc,

Definitely, I learnt my lesson with that this time. Teeth were always fine, and then lower molars on both sides seemed to develop cavities quickly and break in the middle, hence the 2 fillings I’ve just had to have. I won’t be leaving it long again, and am uncomfortable with the fact that the status of the rest of my teeth are unknown at the minute, which is worrying me now and making me very wary of sensations.

I was fine for the first one, but the second was a nightmare, huge waiting time, and the dentist was a nightmare.

I will be making an appointment in January I think, just wanted a bit of a break from the chair! It’s not really fear of the dentist for me, but anxiety in general. (The dentist and anxiety just don’t mix too well!)

Thanks,

Phil.

Vote:
Looks pretty OK to me. Some staining of the grooves is all I see. X-rays are required.

Hi Matt,

Sorry to bother you again, but is there any way of cleaning this staining (which is still worrying me that it’s decay) out of my teeth? I’m going to make an appointment early next year to get it looked at, but cleaning it might give me piece of mind it’s not going to break on my Christmas dinner!

Thanks,

Phil

Attachments

• 27928F30-CA86-4A82-ACE0-8357E66BD181.jpeg
    27928F30-CA86-4A82-ACE0-8357E66BD181.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 310

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Cleaning that out is nigh impossible. If sometimes requires a shallow filling.
When you go to your new dentist, take copies of your old records and especially x-rays from your previous dentist. Talk to your previous dentist now, as they may have a Request Form to be filled out, and they may have 28-40 days to comply (depends where you are in the world).

Vote:
Cleaning that out is nigh impossible. If sometimes requires a shallow filling.
When you go to your new dentist, take copies of your old records and especially x-rays from your previous dentist. Talk to your previous dentist now, as they may have a Request Form to be filled out, and they may have 28-40 days to comply (depends where you are in the world).
Hi Matt,

I thought it would be, but just wondered.

Thanks for the advice, and I will be taking it.
I’ll contact my current dentist, get Christmas out of the way and I’ll get it all checked out.

Thanks again.

Phil.

Vote:

Ask a Question