Full extraction question

Had a dentist appt, yesterday and due to advanced infection, decay, and other issues, it was decided I would get dentures. My appointment for next week is set up to remove all my TOP teeth (due to finances, will be doing top and bottom teeth separately). The dentist prescribed antibiotics and two lorazepam tablets. He explained I will be numbed for the procedure of pulling ALL my top teeth and this just doesn't sound doable to me. I'm terrified. Is this normal? Is it common to perform such a major dental procedure without at least nitrous? All others I've spoken to were actually put under to have their teeth removed. Just not sure if I want to go through with it.

Great Lakes Dental

Verified Dentist
Hi James,

You shouldn't worry, what you've described is entirely common. For many patients, extractions (full uppers or lowers) are done using just local freezing. You should have a denture fabricated and waiting that will help protect the site and promote healing afterwards. The use of Lorazepam (which is not necessary in many cases) will help you relax during the treatment and make it difficult to even recall the experience (please make sure you've arranged for a car ride...you can't drive after taking Lorazepam).

Pain afterwards is moderate and offices will often recommend over the counter pain meds or offer you a prescription.

Hope this helps and best of luck,

Dr. Jennifer Thomm
Cosmetic Dentist
Great Lakes Dental
Sarnia, Ontario Canada

Vote:

Ask a Question