Extraction

Hello new here .
So I have an upper left molar that needs removing due too having an old silver filling that’s been in a long time and the tooth can no longer be saved plus this filling has leaked and I had an infection a few months ago .
I know it needs too come out but I am petrified, I’m autistic and sometimes feel like people aren’t always understanding and generally don’t realise how distressing dentists can be for us or anything medically.
I know we all have different pain tolerance but I’m struggling too understand that even though I’ll be numb I won’t be able too feel anything at all .
I’m so scared I don’t have great teeth have never smiled properly and sometimes have bad thoughts about just wishing I want around because my teeth ruin everything.
I’m not in a position too get them done , I had a bad time at a NHS dentist so now my daughter pays for me too go private and I feel like a burden so it’s so hard .

Hopefully someone can help offer advice thanks

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
  1. Ask friends and family for recommended dentists.
  2. Preferably find a dentist who uses "Happy Gas" (RA or nitrous oxide) - this could be very helpful for someone like you. Upper molars can be fragile to take out, and although you will be numb, it can be noisy and a bit uncomfortable.
  3. Make that initial consultation and see if you like them - worth paying for a few consultations if not happy. Emphasise that you are only coming in for standard examination and X-rays, no cleaning. Take your daughter or close friend with you.
  4. If you don't like the first dentist, you can ask to take electronic copies of the Xrays (JPGs or BMPs about 500kB) in size to the next dentist. You can put them up here for comment, too.
  5. Talk to them about your fears, ask if you can have a trial session of RA to get the right mix. You'll have to pay for it.
  6. Then, get it taken out under RA and local anaesthesia.
  7. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Vote:
  1. Ask friends and family for recommended dentists.
  2. Preferably find a dentist who uses "Happy Gas" (RA or nitrous oxide) - this could be very helpful for someone like you. Upper molars can be fragile to take out, and although you will be numb, it can be noisy and a bit uncomfortable.
  3. Make that initial consultation and see if you like them - worth paying for a few consultations if not happy. Emphasise that you are only coming in for standard examination and X-rays, no cleaning. Take your daughter or close friend with you.
  4. If you don't like the first dentist, you can ask to take electronic copies of the Xrays (JPGs or BMPs about 500kB) in size to the next dentist. You can put them up here for comment, too.
  5. Talk to them about your fears, ask if you can have a trial session of RA to get the right mix. You'll have to pay for it.
  6. Then, get it taken out under RA and local anaesthesia.
  7. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!
Did you read my message? I have a dentist am just asking if it will hurt ?
Not in a position too pay anywhere’ else

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Well, I've suggested some things to consider? Do you like and trust the dentist? Does he/she offer Happy Gas?...

Vote:
Well, I've suggested some things to consider? Do you like and trust the dentist? Does he/she offer Happy Gas?...
In the Uk you have too be referred too a dental hospital and yes I do she did my last filling that was broke without local anaesthetic big achievement for me

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
OK, so you seem happy with her. So, you should be able to talk to her about the likely way she expects the extraction to go (simple? surgical?) and maybe offer you reassurance, and maybe RA or a benzo to help with your anxiety.

Vote:
OK, so you seem happy with her. So, you should be able to talk to her about the likely way she expects the extraction to go (simple? surgical?) and maybe offer you reassurance, and maybe RA or a benzo to help with your anxiety.
I’m from Uk we don’t have that here they only give you that at the dental hospital which I already said .
I just want someone to say if it hurts ?

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I just googled "private dentists uk with nitrous oxide". RA does not require hospitalisation - perhaps you are thinking of a general anaesthetic.
Anyway, I have had wisdom teeth surgically removed from me using only local anaesthetic, and while it wasn't a barrel of laughs, it was tolerable. People vary widely in their reaction and perception of pain. I have done very simple extractions that have really upset people, and then I have done some really tough surgical extractions that some people didn't get concerned about. An upper molar such as you describe is more likely to become a surgical extraction, and while it won't necessarily hurt you, it sounds as if you won't enjoy it without some form of anxiety assistance.

Vote:

Ask a Question