Extraction or second opinion

Last week had to do to a new dentist because I was experiencing swelling in my face.

He determined it was an infection and based on the X-ray tomorrow wants to extract the tooth. There’s no visible issue on the tooth, but he’s assuming there is a possible like microscopic crack somewhere that caused it.

It’s a lower back molar, the X-ray did have darkening toward the top of the tooth between the roots.

Tooth had a previous root canal 17 years ago.

I’m just conflicted over no visible issue and just his clinical guess basically. It’s making me wonder if I should go see my old dentist (I had moved and he’s 2 hours away).

Any opinions and thoughts are highly welcomed

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day
It sounds like root canal might be failing. A root canal be re-done in certain cases. You're more than welcome to seek the opinion of an endodontist, who specializes in root canal therapies, to determine if re-treatment is an option. He can also take a 3-D scan to determine the presence of any cracks

Vote:

Ask a Question