Root canal emergency treatment or not

Dear All,
I have a question related to an infected root in my upper right molar. I am currently travelling in Thailand, and will be crossing into Laos and Vietnam before returning home to Europe in two months time.
I have been to the dental faculty of the university here in Bangkok, as I had slight recurring pain. I was x-rayed and told that ultimately I'd need root canal treatment when I return home. The infection doesn't seem to be that serious yet, as the doctors didn't seem that worried and the pain is fairly tolerable. In fact, most of the time it is just tenderness, and sometimes turns into pain (quite randomly), but haven't needed painkillers yet. The worst part is the constant annoyance of something not quite right being there. I think the infection has been present for about 3 months now.
I will leave Bangkok in 2 days and will be backpacking in the area for another two months. It makes it even more complicated that I start a silent meditation course for ten days this weekend.
After the two months, I go home and can see my dentist.
What would you recommend?
I can get an emergency treatment (opening the tooth, treating the nerves i think, putting temporary filling in) done here in BKK at the dental faculty, it's not too expensive. But I was told that it can still get re-infected afterwards and potentially get pain again, or the temporary filling might break, which is also not great whilst I'm travelling in the middle of nowhere, far from dentists. Or I can leave it as it is and take painkillers and antibiotics with me, but the risk is that the pain might get worse (it has been slowly getting worse, but is still on the tolerable side).
I'm really not sure what is the best thing to do, nor are the dentists here.. They said for their part the emergency treatment doesn't seem that necessary now, and its possibel that i'll be alright (maybe with painkillers) for another 2 months as the cavity is on the side and doesnt seem that bad. But i ts hard to predict how the infection progresses of course. But then it's also hard to tell if it'll be completely contained by that treatment and the temporary filling. I'm worried that it might make the pain worse eventually...
Any advice would be much appreciated!
I'm not trying to put off the root canal, will go see my dentist at home asap, just unsure what to do for now.
Thanks a lot!

Ask a Question