Do I NEED to get my wisdom teeth removed?

I feel like dentists make it a huge deal to get your wisdom teeth removed, even if it's not necessary. I want some opinions as to whether or not I should have the procedure done...

I'm 22, female. For years now my dentist has told me I should get my wisdom teeth removed. However, for years I've never had pain, and the alignment of my teeth are fine, so I haven't gone through with the procedure. However... One of my lower wisdom teeth is now coming out, but I have no pain. Apparently, it's a bit slanted/not straight, and so my dentist says I should have them removed. But again, I have no pain.

I would really, really prefer to avoid the surgery. I have a very sensitive mouth... even though I floss and take care of my teeth well, getting a normal oral cleaning or exam at the dentist is painful and leaves me sore for at least a whole day afterwards. So I'm worried about the pain and recovery that I would have to deal with after the procedure. Also, I know how much the procedure costs... and I've read that a lot of dentists make the most money doing it, even when the procedure is unnecessary.

Lastly, I'm not comfortable with being under anesthetic. I've watched the videos of people who are high after the procedure. Most people find it funny- I'm horrified. I would hate to be in that position.

So is removing the tooth REALLY necessary? Do they have to remove ALL of them? What are the alternatives? I'm

Thanks in advance!

Ask a Question