Cracked crown

I had a crown fitted just under a year ago. A couple of months ago I noticed it was a little loose. On checking I saw a crack in it. My dentist is currently only seeing emergencies and because its not painful they won't see me. It's getting looser and I've noticed an awful smell and taste. When I floss and rinse with mouthwash it seems to help for a short time. I can't eat because of it and I'm trying to not speak too often so that nobody notices the smell. Is there anything I can do to clear out the bacteria under the crown or is it possible for me to safely remove it mysel? I've emailed my own dentist twice in the past month but had no response.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

You can rinse with water and salt. Don't try and remove it yourself. It will become more loose by itself and most likely fall out as you are eating something. If you try and remove it yourself, you can damage some of the remaining tooth structure, which might influence the chances of you getting a new crown.
Try and get hold of another dentist. Don't wait too long.You don't want to risk infection, which might cause severe destruction of the remaining tooth structure, leading to possible tooth loss.

Vote:

Ask a Question