Conflicting Advice Received About Decay - X-ray attached

Hello,

I'd be extremely grateful for any guidance.

I had these x-rays taken at the beginning of December just prior to having my fillings replaced. The dentist, having considered the x-rays, asked if I have a sugary diet. I think because of something she observed along the tooth surfaces. I explained that I do not, but have previously not been the best at flossing/brushing twice per day. I asked if the problem she could see was reversible and she said it could be in theory.

Over the past 2 months since that conversation, I have brushed twice per day with a fluoride tooth paste, flossed every day, reduced sugary foods dramatically (basically only fruit), and have recently started using a fluoride mouth wash.

I went to a new dentist for a check-up last week, so 2 months after the previous visit. She takes a new x-ray as I explained there may be a delay in getting the attached ones sent to me. Presumably there would be little difference compared to those taken 2 months earlier. She examines the x-rays and tells me that she can see 1-2mm of decay along the surfaces and that it would be negligent for her to leave it. She says I need 5 fillings, costing around £700. This comes as a shock to me.

I go for a second opinion at another dentist. He said, during the examination, that he could not see any signs of decay. Several days later, after he has viewed a copy of the x-rays taken, he says he cannot see any problems.

Who is right!?

_20141111_1796.jpg

_20141111_1797.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Please remember, any advice here is only that and does not supersede your dentists full examination, diagnosis and treatment plan

why are you changing so many dentists? (rhetorical)

who is right?
Dentist 1 and Dentist 2

Both recognized interproximal decay (decay between the teeth) between your 2nd premolars and your 1st molars and between your 1st and 2nd molars all on your right side. This is a direct result of not flossing (previously).
Theoretically, these areas can repair themselves if you continue with the optimal oral hygiene you seem to be carrying out now using the fluoride products you mentioned, BUT only if the areas have not cavitated.
Another word of caution, in reality, the decay is much worse than that seen in the x-rays.

Dentist 1 took the more conservative approach. Dentist 2 took a less conservative approach. but both have valid opinions.

Guidance: At your next check-up, if the xrays show that the areas have gotten worse (bigger), get the fillings. right now it looks like 1-2 fillings are inevitable.

Vote:
I totally agree with dravg. First priority -ASAP-is the distal of 16 -first upper right molar- and maybe after clinical evaluation the mesial of 47-second lower right molar-

Vote:
Thanks, both of you, for your comments. I really appreciate it.

The reason I have been to different dentists is that I wanted to have my metal fillings (which you can see in the above x-ray) replaced with composites by a holistic dentist. My usual practice did not offer this. I then wanted a second opinion when my usual practice (but not my usual dentist - I seem to get somebody different every time I go there) recommended the 5 fillings.

The second dentist also recommended the application of a fluoride varnish and the use of high fluoride (duraphat) toothpaste. What are your thoughts on this stuff? I've read a lot of people say fluoride is bad for you, but on the other hand, it looks as though I need to give my teeth all the help they can get.

You mention that, theoretically, it might be possible to reverse the decay shown if I continue my optimal hygiene routine every day. If it were the case that the decay were worse than it appears on there, would it be possible to at least halt its progress or slow it down by really going for it with the dental hygiene? I am going traveling for 6 months in a couple of weeks and I am unsure whether to put my faith in really looking after my teeth, and seeing if a checkup in 6 months shows things are no worse than they are now (if not better), or whether I should go for fillings now to prevent potentially worse damage in 6 months. I really do not want any more fillings than I already have, but on the other hand, I don't want to lose more tooth material in the long run by not getting smaller fillings done now than might be needed in 6 months.

I appreciate it is very difficult for you to advise without looking, but any comments you might have would be much appreciated.

Vote:
Ingesting fluoride can lead to toxicity. read and follow the manufacturer's directions and those of your dentist.

Get the largest ones filled, the two mentioned above and distal of the 45 (the lower right 2nd premolar) would be my suggestion BUT follow the advice of your dentist!!!!

You are getting good advice, trust them.

Vote:
Hey guys, I have a similar experience (which I detailed in a separate post). Is it common for different dentists to different advice? Also is it possible for dark areas (presumably decay) to appear in one x-ray but not another x-ray of the same tooth?

I guess at the end of the day it's just each dentists opinion on what the best course of treatment is and no one has a right or wrong answer?

Vote:
quite possible for different dentists to give different advice. in my graduating class, there could sometimes be almost as many opinions as graduates. ha ha
dark areas: possible

well i wouldn't go so far to say that there cannot be a wrong answer....... but multiple treatment options are indeed possible

Vote:

Ask a Question