Canker Sore? Help!

Hi everyone.

I am making myself very anxious and I am not sure if there is a need to or not. A few days ago a spot on the front of the gums of my lower set of teeth started hurting, and about a day later I noticed a large white spot (which I assumed was/is a canker sore). It has been a couple of days since I noticed it and the pain is awful. I haven't tried treating it until today (I rinsed with salt water and applied "Canker - X to the spot"). Because the spot is against my lower lip, I have found it difficult to keep the gel on the sore. This has caused very great discomfort. It hurts to talk, laugh or move my lower lip. Also, the area of my jaw that the sore is on is slightly sore. Is this normal? There is just the one sore. However, I am very neurotic and have been looking up oral cancer images and symptoms. I know I am being hasty and probably making myself unnecessarily upset, but could anyone offer some insight/tips on how to successfully treat this? Should I see a dentist and if so, how long should I wait before I do this? How much time should I allow the sore to heal on its own with just me treating it?

Thank you so much for your time. I am very scared :(

Ask a Question